1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl 400 not running well

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jordanfan20, May 15, 2009.

1. Jordanfan20

Jordanfan20 LawnSite Member

My stihl 400 has been starting up just fine.... the first time. When I take out the blower it seems to start in about 4 pulls two chokes and two normal, but then once I shut it off it has trouble restarting and could take anywhere from 5-30 pulls to start.

The spark plugs need to be changed but I was wandering if you guys had any advice or ideas on why this is occurring?
    Thanks guys

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know why but here is the drill on Stihl 400 and 420:
    When it is cold......pull it until it fires with choke on. Then immediately turn off the choke and it will start with 4 more pulls. Once it is hot never choke those duds and they will start in 4 pulls. Now this assumes that you have good plug, fuel filter and air filter clean and not plugged outlet.

3. Jordanfan20

Jordanfan20 LawnSite Member

Thanks man, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

4. ashelton

ashelton LawnSite Member
    from florida

I am having the same problem with my 420. It starts fine the first couple of times, but after it has been run for a while, it sometimes will take up to 30 pulls. I don't choke it after it has warmed up, and always keep the air filter and plug clean. I also have seen fuel on the air filter sometimes.

If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

5. No Bull

No Bull LawnSite Member

Sounds like you might want to try a new carb kit. If the carb is getting old sometimes they start to have flooding problems. a new carb kit will usually fix that problem. Good Luck !