Stihl 550 4-Mix blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Just went to the local mower show. They had the new BR 550 on demo side by side with the BR 420.

I don't remember the exact #'s but the 550 is about 40CFM higher and 12 mph faster. But the important thing was actually feeling the force. Much stronger. I am sure part of it is the concentrator tip. But the exit hole is the same size as the 420, just the tube is bigger.

Weighs 2# more, but has much better ergonomics and has 4 isolator springs to reduce vibration. Sitting on the table the 420 bounced around while the 550 stayed in place.

Same list price of $399.95.

Quieter, bigger fan, half a horse more from the motor (4hp) Roughly 20% more fuel efficient. And it meets 2010 emmissions requirements. So it will be around for a while.

Only downside for me is I have 2 new 420's.

The other new one from Stihl is the 500. A low noise unit. $60 more expensive and more like a BR340 in performance. But if you have to have low noise, it is really quiet.

He said a 600 is coming out in a few months. 4.5 hp a bigger fan than the 550 but he couldn't give any actual numbers yet.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I also like what I see so far with the 4-mix blowers.
    The 500 is top notch for a low noise unit.
    The 550 is top notch all around.

The 600 series should bring forth some real brutes while still having a comfortable and sensable design.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The 550 is really a step into the future. I have them in stock but haven't put them into the showroom yet.

4. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

4 mix backpack blowers...what's next??? A twin cyclinder Kawasaki backpack to get past EPA??

I'll stick with my RedMax and Echo 2 cycle blowers thank you! Less moving parts, lighter, more powerful, way less maintenance over time!!

5. Envy Lawn Service

I think you are wrong about all that you said.

6. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

After demoing it twice briefly, I will say it seems like a good blower for its power to weight ratio especially for a 4 mix. It is lighter but I don't think you will be able to pry the RedMax 8000 out of my hands until I see the new 80cc 4 cycle Shindaiwa late this year/early next year.

Scott

7. Envy Lawn Service

Shadetree,

What you said right there, to me, that's where it's at! I think you'll be even more impressed with this line as the 600 series rolls out.

8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

And folks, this here is a fine example of pure blind brand loyalty. :sleeping:

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It's not brand loyalty.
    The new Stihl backpack has nothing to offer over the old 420.
    I'm a Stihl person and they've heard my views on the subject.

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The one I tried out was a HUGE difference between it and the 420 I used when I worked with the county a few years back.