1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl 6000 Blower flooding cylinder

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcambrose, Jun 23, 2012.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have an almost new blower that is filling the cylinder with fuel just sitting on the trailer. The cylinder is so full that I can't pull the rope. Any ideas.
  2. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt LawnSite Member

It sounds like the littlle needle valve in the diaphragm carburetor is sticking open if it has 2 stroke engine. Disassembly and cleaning will be required. A rebuild kit for the carb comes with a new needle valve if needed. If fairly new, then there may be debris UNDER the needle holding it open, not shutting off the gas flow. If it has a 4 stroke engine the float is hanging up and not closing the needle valve completely or debris is under it; also holding it open. Install a fuel shut off valve in the fuel line to prevent constant gas flow when not in use.
  3. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Sounds like a tank vent problem.

Since the fuel tank is under the engine I cannot think of any other way to fill the cylinder (unless up-side-down) than having a faulty tank vent, heating the tank in the sun thus pressurizing it which forces the fuel through the carb.

Are you sure it's not binding at the impeller due to ingested debris?
  4. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt LawnSite Member

When those guys transport those units, they could be oriented sideways or upside down or whatever. The fuel tank vent is a good point though and an issue that should be checked.