Stihl And Opti 2

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Aug 6, 2007.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Im Thinking Getting A Stihl Br600. I Use Opti 2 In All My Shinny And Redmax Equipment. Is Opti 2 Good With Stihl Equipment?

2. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

My dealer, who also sells Opti (I suppose this matters) told me that Stihl is getting funny about warranty repairs on motors run with Opti and not the Stihl Ultra (their syn. with fuel stabilizer). He's heard from his rep they've refused a couple warranty repairs over it, and the Opti folks are obviously not happy at that turn of events.

He said Opti should be 100% fine for your Stihl and recommends it based on performance, but if the politics of "use our oil or your warranty is no good" is really happening at Stihl it's something you might want to consider.

If that's true and Stihl really is playing that game, I'm disappointed in them as a company. I've had plenty of warranty repairs over the years on their 2-cycle equipment and the brand of oil was never an issue.

I run Opti in my kawi mower motors, and Stihl Ultra in the blowers and trimmers. It's the same price at my dealer, so it seems logical for me. YMMV.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i dont blame sthil for not wanting to pay warrenty cost for some one who ruins his equiptment with 100/1 oil mix. i have used the ultra in my br600 and it loves it. i highly recommend it. as for opti 2 at 100/1 as recommended -no way!

4. delphied

I guess I dont understand this. sorry

5. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

It's fair if Stihl can show or has evidence that Opti is harming the engines or is any way responsible for premature failure. That's Opti's bone of contention, and I agree with it.

Years ago I had a couple chainsaw motors burn up, and no one asked me about the brand, mix or quality of oil I ran when they were warranty-repaired. If I had told them it was regular Stihl 2C oil (which it was) should Stihl have stopped recommending using their own oil? Afterall, there were two motors fixed under their warranty that cooked using their own blend.

It goes both ways, AFAIC.

6. EMTDUCK1984

EMTDUCK1984 LawnSite Member

IVE BEEN DEALING WITH OPTI FOR MANY YEARS AND I DONT THINK ITS RIGHT FOR THEM TO SAY THEY WONT WARRANTY ANYTHING BUT STIHL BC IF THEY WONT DO IT FOR OPTI THEN THATS BASICALLY WHAT THEY ARE SAYING AND THAT TO ME IS JUST TRYING TO MAKE MORE MONEY OFF THE IN USER.JMO

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Over several years reading lawn site post I keep seeing these post about opti2 oil being used. Is this oil that much cheaper than echo 2 stroke oil (for example) to warrant its use? Seems sota common sense to use echo 2 stroke oil in echo equipment if you want to minimize problems and same with stihl equipment....what am I missing:hammerhead: I still haven't had any engine failure in over 30 years time and lots of equipment using Echo oil!

8. EMTDUCK1984

EMTDUCK1984 LawnSite Member

As Long As Ive Used And Sold Opti 2 Ive Never Had A Failure Bc Of The Oil Now I Have Seen People Forget To Put Oil In The Gas And Cause Problems But Who Doesnt Know That What Will Happen Without Oil

9. delphied

I have several brands of 2 strkes. I only want to use 1 can of mix for all.

10. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

It's not a question of cost. Opti is supposed to be premium, clean burning oil meant to make engines last....equal to or better than Stihls "ultra" synthetic. Better performance, no smoke, etc.

I don't think there's many folks in the repair biz that would argue that synthetic isn't better than cheap 2-cycle oil. So, most of us that want to feed our engines a good oil that will prevent buildup or crud in the motors would like to use one common premium grade synthetic oil for all our mix gas. If it's not stinky and smoky, all the better.

Almost all of the 2-cycle oils, from the cheapest to the most premium, is pretty close in cost really, so why not use the best stuff? That said, the topic at hand is does Opti hurt engines in a way that justifies Stihl's supposed bias against it? If it's true, I'd like to know if there's merit to the claim.