Stihl Autocut C Easy Spool vs Shindaiwa Speed-Feed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ford850, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

How does the Stihl Autocut C Easy Spool trimmer head compare to the Shindaiwa Speed-Feed head? Has anyone used both to compare? I've used the standard Stihl Autocut tap head but was wondering about the easy spool design. I know the Speed Feed head gets rave reviews but I haven't heard any feedback on the Stihl design.

2. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

I use all Shindy SpeedFeeds. Never tried Stihl. I love the SpeedFeed though.

3. birdman0494

birdman0494 LawnSite Member

I used the regular 25-2 and oh god let me tell you its a piece of **** compared to the speed feed head but when I get the time ill go to the dealer and get one they're like 30 bucks

4. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

You use 2 pieces of line instead of one with the speed feed. It's much faster than taking it apart and winding the spool, but not as fast as the speed feed. Shin no longer offers an adapter for Stihl trimmers. If someone else does I'd sure like to know the part number and who to call. I've got two speed feed heads sitting on the shelf that I cannot use....

5. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

Kaferhaus,
    Take a look at the Shindaiwa web site, under the speed feed link. Once you open that page, the left side has a few more links. Open the Application Guide and the Bulletin links for parts descriptions and numbers. It looks like they made changes to their arbor size last year so you'll have to take that into consideration if your heads are the older design. Maybe not though, since you'll be replacing the bushing anyway. If you have a shindaiwa dealer they should be able to order them.

6. kaferhaus

The dealer "tried", Shin does not list a part that adapts the speed feed to a stihl. Echo's screw right on and the ones with the female in on the gearbox work. Problem is the Stihl has a male end on the gearbox so you need a female adaptor which Shin does not list.

I've been to the site and looked at the application guide. I don't own any Stihl homeowner trimmers so i don't know if they have a different gearbox setup.... but the dealer assured me that Shin does NOT offer a female to male adaptor that fits the Stihl commercial trimmers. They may have at one time but it's not even listed on Shin's dealer parts network.

7. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

8. kaferhaus

Thank you! I'll call the Shin dealer right now.

9. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

With the design of the speed feed can you tell how much line you have left on it? Looking at the video it dosen't look like you can. I keep 3 or 4 spools loaded up and when one gets low I change it out instead of running out in the middle of a job and respool when i get home. If you could tell how much line is left on the speed feed head I would like to give one a try. Dose anyone know the part # for one to fit a echo srm 260s ?

10. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

They sell one labeled "universal" which comes with a variety of arbors and bushings to fit most popular brand trimmers. Part number 78890-21000.