Stihl Back pack blower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lalllc, Mar 2, 2013.

1. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

I have a 3 year old, br 600 mag. back pack blower. I have a hard time keeping it running after it worms up. It starts fine. Will not idel have to keep my finger on trigger to keep it running. I did all PM's on it. new plugs, filter, primer bulb. I cleaned out the carb. it looked good. what gives? do I need to buy a new carb? I looked at the cable, I cant tell if it needs to be tightened . I have a 550 and All I did to that one was new plugs. I have a new 600 in a box but I dont want to pull it out until I have to. :confused:

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

How do the fuel lines look? Cheap to replace...

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Did you adjust the valves correctly?

4. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

I did not touch the valves, nor will I. I'm not that handy with motors. I will look at fuel lines. However I think they are ok.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well they need to be checked and likely adjusted. In the future it might be better to get units that don't have valves.....like Echo. Maybe trade the one in the box or at least go with BR430 stihl.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

carb needs adjustment.

7. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Did he change the fuel filter?

8. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Try swapping the ignition module from the new one to the old one and see if it helps. I've had to replace this part on 2 stihl engines. When they go bad it can look like a fuel or carb problem. The module is easy to get to and the gap doesn't seem to be critical. I fold the box top (that the part came in) over and set the gap to twice the thickness of the cardboard. Ends up with 1/32 to 1/16 inch gap. Both engines had about 3 or 4 seasons on them.

9. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

I did put a new fuel filter in. So yes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

If its a valve thing, I will have to take it in.
    Posted via Mobile Device