Stihl Back Packs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Simplicity LLC, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Lawn Simplicity LLC

Lawn Simplicity LLC LawnSite Member

After my 3rd. year of part timing & using a hand held blower I am getting ready to buy my 1st. back pack. I want Stihl. I like Stihl equipment & have never had any complaints. Out of all the Stihl back packs which is the best "all around". I don't want to buy the biggest if its not the best all around. Any help appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Larry:walking:

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Stihl BR420's. They are light weight and have plenty of power for regular weekly maintenance. Stihl makes bigger blowers but we like the 420's for a good all around blower. If we need something bigger we use our Little Wonder walkbehind blower.

3. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

The BR 600 is hands down the best blower I have ever used. We have 2 stihl 420's and the 600 is twice the machine.

4. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

the 600 is the largest but the 420 is the most proven and reliable out there.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I agree get the BR420 plenty of power for most jobs and lightweight....weight is very important. And these units have adjustable carb to help keep them running many years.

6. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

the only complaint I have heard is that they are bulit kinda shitty I know a guy that has had 2 break on him where the straps hook on at the top, the plastic has just broke there twice... he might be hard on the blower but still you wouldnt think that should happen. I love stihl though, I've always had great luck with them. good luck on your decision.

7. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

You would have to be very rough on the blower to break the plastic in that spot.

8. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

I have had trouble with the valves going out of time. It seems they have to do warranty work on my lemon every month to month and a half. But when it is running it is the best blower money can buy. Also we are going through straps like crazy. Poor quality material and extra weight makes the shoulder straps rip after they get some use. At 89.50 for stihl replacement straps we are gonna go to Walmart and get 2 rifle slings $6.00each and that should be the end of it.