Stihl Backpack blower question.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by born2farm, Jun 4, 2008.

1. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Guys,

Im in the market for a new backpack blower and have a Stihl dealer close so thats the route im looking. I need a blower for between 5-10 weekly accounts this year and hopefully close to 20 next year.

The top blower im looking at is the BR 380 D. I would like to get some opinions on this blower before I buy,

thanks

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

The BR 380 is alright, but for the extra $100 the BR 550 would suit you better..

3. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it just the power upgrade that would suit me better? Or what do you think would work better for me? I do not need anything huge just something that I wont outgrow in a year.

4. josh1981

josh1981 LawnSite Senior Member

stihl br600. best blower out of every other one, period. Good for all around use, easy to control throddle. I use mine for small jobs to big ones. I hardly ever use my handheld one anymore.

oh paid around 500 for mine.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't bother asking about blowers on this site....it is BR600 this year and Redmax 7000 and 8000. Make up you own mind you know what you need all blowers are pretty darn good. It doesn't make sense to spend more and pack more weight than is necessry for you situation.

6. josh1981

josh1981 LawnSite Senior Member

he is right. we can give you advice, but decision is uo to you.

i chose stihl because of dealer support (a lot of dealers in metro atlanta) and because of quality and reliability. easy to work on, easy on the body, and plenty of power. Easy to start.

now take my advice and use it wisely.

good luck on whatever you decide on.

7. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought my sthil br600 was heavy but after doing a bunch of weed jobs with a shurflo back pack, they br600 feels light now.

8. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i have the br 340's. great blowers. check ebay, i got one sent to my door for $200. they had a br 550 that sold for under $300 plus s/h

9. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. Power will play a significant role, not just with the Stihl brand that goes for all brands...
    I won't say Stihl should be first choice over others, buy what you can afford also dealer support is equally important...Joe

10. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I used mine hard since last early fall. I used it on my lawns for fall cleanups running non stop for 6 hours straight, each lawn! I have 14 accounts but I started my business last year and the lawns are big.