stihl backpack blowers, why do they sound like arse?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I noticed a company near me using these, they "Appear" to be the largest 65cc~ sthil model. Ive heard other sthil equipment such as chainsaws and weed wackers in the past and they sound like most others.

These things dont sound like most blowers, they sound like theyre not spinnintg full speed, sound like a very deep rumbly sound and not the normal "wheeeeee" kinda sound that is common,almost like a big engined car that doesnt have enough oil and is ready to seize up or something, they sound more like an RRRRRRaaarrrrrr sound, haha, oh well i tried, seemed odd.
  2. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

What you are hearing is the four-mix engine. It does not sound at all like a typical Stihl product. The description of a car engine is quite accurate. They still have plenty of power, however....Mike
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah maybe thats it, i wasnt up close to it to see what model it was, it wasnt really loud just a really odd sound, like it was on its last leg, but then i noticed they were quite new.
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The BR 4-Mix blowers are low on noise compared to Echo and Redmax. The BR-600,is a powerful fuel efficient blower.It is is just a cat's ass less powerful then the Redmax 8000, and much more fuel efficient and lighter for the employees. For you're average city type account's, the BR-600 fits the bill.
  5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

They may sound strange but, as Bill mentioned they are not short on power. My BR600 can do at half throttle what my Echo PB650 does at full throttle. Ram, If you have a local Stihl dealer close by check the BR600 out and you will be very impressed.

6. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

That's total BS! I have used both the Echo PB-650 and the Stihl BR-600 and there is very little difference at FULL throttle on both!

The Stihl is lighter and a little less noisy but the power difference is not much at all.... Echo blowers have a 2 year commercial warranty. When (if) Stihl steps up to the plate, I might consider switching??

Oh....the BR-600 is not even close to the RedMax in overall air volume (power) not even close!
  7. 6'7 330

We use both..and you're full of something that oozes out you're ears..
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I use stihl, but out of curiousity how often does that echo junk break down under warranty? I have only had one warranty iten in about 10 years. Just seems odd to buy something you figure will not last.
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

how many hrs on that br400? i have one thats gone 8yrs and was used when i bought it. best machine still ever made(besides their chain saws)
  10. 6'7 330

No telling the amount of hours, it was retired and regulated to shop duty, along with blowing leaves around the shop areas. Those BR400's could take a licking and keep on ticking. For longevity, they were hard to beat.Echo, Redmax, Shindawa passed em up in the power and productivity department,compelled a switch of brands for much of our backpack workload needs .Good to see Stihl at least back into the running in the power department.