Stihl Bed "re"-definer...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by TriCityLawnCareLLC, Jan 31, 2013.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Yes A walk behind edger

2. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

Curious, What happens when you hit rocks?

3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

They go flying! -if not blocked by the guard.

So I have the Echo-BRD unit... if any of you have run this re-definer AND the new Stihl, what would your opinion be as far as comparison with clogging and ease of use?

So if I have the Echo, would the Stihl be worthless to purchase? Our Echo might sit on the shop floor 350 day out of the year! Not a terribly useful tool with Springtime wetness....

4. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Wondering if anyone has used a redmax recipricator for bed edging? Seems like it would work but I dunno. Here is youtube link, but its being used on a golf course. Also I don't own any redmax products, would this head fit on a stihl? Any info would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDG6tMsO6AU

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

When you hit rocks it bounces, thats the reason its hard cut the intended pattern or line. Im sure theres a "learming curve" which I havent had the opportunity to get used to it. The cutting tool is thick "blunt metal" it has no edge. My Brown bed edger puliverious rocks, Im sure both have their function.

So far im my opinion if you have something already thats working Id stick with that. If you dont have anything but a shovel and a hoe it would be a good innvestment.

If it ever dries up I can run it in my own yard, and then give it a better assement.

6. jonny01blaze

jonny01blaze LawnSite Member

I picked one of these up today, it will be some time before I get to try it out but am looking forward to it.

7. boatcapt

boatcapt LawnSite Member

I picked it up today too. Will try it in a few. Its still wet here though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. boatcapt

boatcapt LawnSite Member

Our soil right now is really wet, it just rained all day yesterday. I tried it out briefly and did a lot better than I expected it too. I did a good job for as wet as it is. I think it will do even better when things dry up. I already had the KM 90, but went ahead and picked up the 130 while I was there. The 130 is what I used today.

9. LHS Lawns

LHS Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I just came back from my Stihl dealer. He said he went to a seminar on how to use the bed re-difiner and he said you have to walk backwards using the thing.

I don't think I've seen anyone report that on here not unless I missed it. I just pictured it being used moving forward not backward.

Any thoughts?

For all you guys that are thinking about buying one and can wait a little longer I was told the Stihl discount certificate is coming in the mail in April for 50 bucks instead of the usual 30.

10. boatcapt

boatcapt LawnSite Member

Yes, you have to walk backwards. One of my guys used it today on some beds and said they turned out great.
    Posted via Mobile Device