Stihl Bed "re"-definer...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by TriCityLawnCareLLC, Jan 31, 2013.

1. LHS Lawns

LHS Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Ok thanks, thats good to know. Its not that I didn't believe my dealer, just looking for a second opinion.
  2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

If you watch the video of the echo unit they're using it walking backwards, kinda makes sense.
  3. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

any reviews?
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Just throwing this in here.

Here is the yard boss tiller head on the end of my FS-90. Now, in this location I wanted as deep of a trench as possible, so I was going in a direction where the spoils were getting shot into the grass. If I was going the other direction, then would stay in the bed.

The tines are off on one side of the head.

I wanted to post this as I still feel the Stihl and Echo bed re-definer spins the blade too fast and doesn't dig a deep enough trench.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I bought one the other day and played with it for a few minutes in my yard, it seemed to work pretty good, Was hard to tell tho because my beds were still wet and muddy, so it clogged the machine, I suspect it will work amazing on nice dry bed edges.

Ill get some pics of how it does shortly when we start the mulching.
  6. dlh2

dlh2 LawnSite Member
    from Pace Fl

That appears to work great. I can see how having the option of throwing the spoils to either side of the trench depending on which direction you pull it around the bed would be advantageous. I wonder if mounting a free-spinning wheel on the un-used tiller shaft would make it even easier to use?
  7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

They sell that very kit. It's pictured on page 90 of the 2013 Stihl catalog. That same gearbox for the yard boss is used for the mini tiller, edger, power sweep, power broom etc. You can configure it many ways to do almost anything or any type of job. It's also the same gear box that comes with the kombi attachments like the power sweep etc, so anyone who has one of those can do the same thing.

Page 95 of the interactive online catalog-
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  8. CJC3

CJC3 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I used mine for the first time earlier this week. I only used it to recut existing bed. It worked well, I wouldnt say great. I couldnt imagine cutting new bed with this. I used a fs 110r and it seemed alittle underpowered to me I would like to try something with more power.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Its not made to make a new bed, its made for existing beds, hence "Bed RE-Definer", not bed edger.
  10. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

I'm going in the morning to pick one up. I have some beds at some commercial locations where you can tell there is an edge, but not much of one. GOLDPRO- how well will it do in defining something like that?