1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl BG 55 Blower ringing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Differential, May 14, 2010.

1. Differential

Differential LawnSite Member

I've got a bg55 that has started making a ringing sound. I did a search, and it seems that it's typically the clutch bell housing.

Should this be normal on a blower? I've heard a Stihl trimmer the other day making this same noise.

Blower is only 1.5 months old, and has been well taken care of (fuel mix correct, no ethanol, etc.)

2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

You have clutch in the blower?

3. Differential

I don't know if there's a clutch on it...

4. Alan0354

I never heard of blower having clutch. If your blower have air blowing out even at idle, I doubted you have a clutch. Meaning the ringing sound is not from the clutch.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Try answering the phone lol

On the trimmers it's normal, full metal clutch,
    never have heard my hand held blowers doing it.

6. Differential

yeah, it's concerning me. i'll probably run it by the dealer and have them tell me it's normal (or not).

7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

This may be a dumb question, but is your air intake jammed or anything? That's the only time mine has ever made a whistling sound.

8. Differential

not a dumb question at all. sometimes my clothes get sucked against the intake, but that's not the problem.

it's just doing it 100% of the time.

9. Jhill19

Jhill19 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WV

mine used to do that, and it just quit over time, I don't think it's anything serious, my bg 55 is about 4 years old and its fine. might check the exhaust on it tho

10. Alan0354

You sure it's not from the muffler. Those cat muffler make sound. My M242 makes random tapping sound when idle. I thought it was a problem and I brought it back, they start another one to show me it was normal. It just randomly go tap tap tap.......tap tap.............tap tap tap tap............tap...............!!!!:laugh::laugh: