Stihl BG75 blower problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Roger, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Stihl BG75 hand blower with a shut-off problem. It is about four years old. I work solo, mowing about 900-1000 lawns per year -- blow off debris after each mowing. Also, I've used it for leaf work each Fall season. It has been running fine, and continues to run fine. But, a few weeks ago, the engine didn't stop immediately after moving the slide switch to the OFF position. It sputtered a bit, then shut off.

The problem wasn't a major one, and I was very busy, so kept working. However, the behavior grew worse. The time to finally shut down grew longer. Then I found I had to use full choke to make it quit.

I took apart the case and felt that the metal clip on the slide switch may be bent. The clip apparently grounds the electrical connection when moved to the OFF position. I got a new clip from the dealer, installed it, but the change has made no difference.

The problem does not inhibit use of the blower, but is a nuisance. Something isn't quite right. Apparently the electrical grounding isn't being done properly, only partially. As I said, it sputters and runs very rough for the few seconds before finally shutting down completely.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Redmax 7001

Leave the hand helds for home-owners and get yourself a real blower. You'll hug yourself the first day.
  3. ahah

ahah LawnSite Member
    from 5

I had a friend's Bg 75 apart just yesterday. The two wires that the new switch go to connect to the magneto. The magneto connections are questionable at best. Take it apart and solder the two connections in place. That should solve your problem.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Your suggestion was right on target. The connector at the end of one of the wires had become disconnected from the spade. I squeezed the connector to tighten it on the spade. After assembly, the shut-off worked perfectly.

Thanks much for your help!
  5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Roger, wake up! ElephantNest is right.I now have this blower and could kick myself is the a-- for not getting it sooner. If you have to deal with any volume of leaves, a good backpack blower will pay for itself quickly.
  6. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I really think the backpacks are overrated!!! On small jobs, the handhelds are quick and easy to just blow and go! You have to crank the thing then good luck trying to catch the blower tube before lugging the thing onto your back. once you catch the blower tube, you're in good shape. another thing, you can't really blow the leaves out of the landscape too efficiently either. There are angles that a handheld can hit alot more easily than a backpack can. Bottom line: they're good if you are doing a LOT of wide-open blowing, but if not, the handhelds are fine. The backpacks are too much dough for the blow. Just my .02.
  7. Doster's L & L

P.S. Thanks for the PM, Roger. I will look at that tomorrow.
  8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

dosters, you are correct with respect to small mow/trim/blow accounts, but they are indespensable when you are talking about leaves/larger area's. I dont have any problems with flowerbeds. I just remove one section of pipe and use the blower at low speed. I have used handhelds exclusively in the past, so I speak from experience.
  9. Doster's L & L

I have not even thought of taking one end of the tube off. I will try that tomorrow. This is my first backpack to own and it is more powerful than my handheld, but i had expected it to be more powerful than it is. The handhelds are worth getting because of any small accounts one may have. plus any tight places in a landscape they are good. I recommend having a handheld and a backpack per mowing crew.
  10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We use mostly backpack, but the handhelds are great for when you just need to blow a small area- I wouldn't want to use handhelds all day though, too much strain on the back carrying it by your side.