1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl BG85 blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LancelotLawns, Jul 22, 2008.

1. LancelotLawns

LancelotLawns LawnSite Member

I bought a stihl bg85 blower/vacuum two days ago. On the first day the crew used it, it was bogging down. Its starts fine, but if you give it gas it will shut off. I took it back to the dealer and he said he adjusted something and handed back saying it would work fine. After the second yard it was bogging down again. Do I have a faulty blower or am I doing something to cause this problem. I made sure the choke wasnt on, causing it to flood. Any help would be appreciated....
  2. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

exhaust plugged?
  3. castill

castill LawnSite Member

I have a BG55 as a backup and it did the same thing. The fuel line had a pin hole.
  4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

hmmmmm. It has the cat. converter in it.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

What's the temperatures you are working in there? If it's much over 80 to 85 degrees then that's just the nature of how they run. You should be able to get it to run 100% after a minute or so though, only way I know of is to keep flipping the choke on and back off, or holding it about mid-way while running WOT. Use only Premium gas, and check if your premium is ethanol free, many places it's not anymore.

The running issues with the BG85 are why I went out and bought a husqvarna handheld. Yes, the BG will run great the first time of the day, and it will do so again if I let it sit for a few hours at least. But trying to run it every 30 minutes or so, at the end of each lawn, it was driving me nuts!
  6. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

The best way to get them running right is to have more adjustment on the main jet, that's the jet nearest the air filter. Turn anti clock wise to richen it up a bit. Sometime it's necessary to remove the anti tamper to get full adjustment. The anti tamper is a splined plastic sleeve, set it midway and pull it off, carefully.
    Good luck Phil :)

btw, how old is this machine? Is it the new redesigned model?
  7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

8. Green Up

Green Up LawnSite Member

I had the same problem and they did adjust it. I even had to change the coil out.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a BG85, and it performed like you said when I was using 50:1 fuel mix. I have changed to 75:1 Amsoil, and it runs very well. I have no more of the "flame out" when pulling the throttle. Throttle response is sure, certain and firm, all the time. Also, it starts now on first pull, with choke. Previously, with the 50:1, it would take several pulls to get it started.

For me, changing fuel mix changed the way the blower performed, both in terms of throttle response and in starting. I have never tinkered with the carb settings on this blower.
  10. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

Bump....... to the top for more thoughts or comments on this problem as I am encountering the same troubles!