Stihl BG85 - engine dies if I try to 'gun' it several times quickly in a row

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Threxx, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Why exactly I would need to do this in the real world, I don't know, but I just wonder if it's normal - especially since this thing only has about 10 hours of use on it so far.

Basically if I pulled the trigger fully very briefly (don't even give it time to rev up fully), release, pull it again, release, and pull it again, but the third time it's either dead or just about to die. Flooded, I guess? But should it be? The only reason I ask is I also have a Stihl 110 power pack that I use for an edger and string trimmer attachment and I can do that to it all day long and it never skips a beat. It seems much more rev-happy than the 85, too. The 85 is much more slow to spool up - maybe that's just the nature of a gas blower compared to a gas trimmer or edger? Or the nature of the two different engines by the same manufacturer?

The 85 also seems to be far less tollerant to starting up cold. If I start it up and give it 30 seconds at idle on the 110 it will be ready to rev and won't complain a bit. On the 85 it kind of takes a bit to rev all the way up when it's cold and kinda stutters a tad along the way.

Normal or no?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If its one of the newer 85's they have catalytic mufflers on them, they seem to be more grumpy then others. The engine on the blower and trimmer are 2 completely different animals, the blower is 2 cycle and the trimmer is a 4 cycle. The reason they both use mix fuel is because the 4 cycle uses it to lube the engine.

wayne

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I would check the air filter for debris or an excess of oil in it or the spark arrestor for carbonization.

The other thing could be that you are flooding the engine by jumping open the carb and dumping a bunch of fuel in that doesn't get burned, or back flooding it into the filter and getting that soaked.

Just guesses.

4. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Yes this is one of the newer ones I'd assume - I just bought it this summer. Same with the 110 power pack.

I figured I could check some of that but more importantly since it's brand new and under warranty is - if this is normal. Should I bring it back to the dealer or will they just pull out another 85 and show me they all do it?

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Its starving for fuel. Check that the primer bulb is full. If not, you have a leak in the fuel lines some where.