1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl BG85 handheld blower. Help Please!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by luckydooley, May 28, 2008.

1. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the BG85 about three months now. Not to much use on it. Well after it warms up for the day, it becomes extremely hard to start, and will only idle. When I try to rev the throttle it dies. Gas is good, mixed properly. I have replaced the spark plug and air filter. No change. It will not run properly again until letting it cool down for several hours. Which does not exactly lend itself to use on a tight route. Once I get it running it seems fine. I am at wits end. Any suggestion? Thanks!
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That is so easy, see if it's under warranty you take it to the dealer.
  3. jahbp

jahbp LawnSite Member

adjust the high idle on top of carb
  4. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I have a BG55 that does the same thing. Drives me nuts. I fiddled with the carb adjustments quite a bit and it runs better but I'm still not all that happy with it. When you finally get it going it runs like a top.
  5. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. I have adjusted idle settings it now appears to be working better, but the real test will be tomorrow after using in the field!

I am normally quick to return malfunctiong purchases under warranty, however this is the only blower I currently own, which is needed on a daily basis, and I have a funny feeling it will not be in and out experience at the dealer. I am not on the "big dog" list yet having only spent a mere $8-10k or so there.

I am also not currently in a position to buy a new/back-up blower unless absolultey mandatory. Tryin to work with what I got right now. I guess thats the plight of being poor!
  6. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Had the exact same problem with our 85 SH. Dealer had it 3 times, finally replaced the carburetor. It is OK now, but don't use it much any longer, as the shredder / vacuum is a pain to operate ...
  7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

This is a common and well known problem with the BG 85, even if the dealer plays dumb. I was told the problem is caused by a faulty welch plug in the carb. I had mine in for repair for this under warranty. They tried to tell me it was fine and blah blah blah....
    Don't take no for an answer, make them FIX it! Mine had the carb replaced but is still hard to start when warm. Not as bad as it was, though. My bg85 sits on a shelf unless I need to clean out a gutter.
  8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If its over 90 days the warranty is up.
  9. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

Only problem I've ever had with mine is the gas pickup line split causing it to crank up run a little and quit, and once replaced it has always run pretty good. David
  10. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

To warm up the blower do you go from Full choke, to half, then no choke?