Stihl BG85 just stopped working Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bullofthenorthwood, Jan 12, 2012.

1. bullofthenorthwood

bullofthenorthwood LawnSite Member

:wall The little bugger was running perfect. I was blowing leaves tonight and it just stopped like it ran out of gas. The fuel is fresh, premium, pure gas, no ethanol. I am using a semi synthetic oil. I do not know where to start. I tried a hour ago to restart it after letting it set a couple hours no luck. It started 3rd pull when I started using it today. I was thinking of pulling the fuel filter up from inside the tank as a starting point. I could use some help troubleshooting.

Rick

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Is the spark arrestor in the muffler clogged? Mine clogged quickly on mine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. bullofthenorthwood

What is the best way to get to the arrestor. I am looking at it but only from eyeballing from the outside of the guard i without trying to get in to it. How do I get into and remove it?

4. bullofthenorthwood

What is the best way to get to the arrestor. I am looking at it but only from eyeballing from the outside of the guard i without trying to get in to it. How do I get into and remove it?

5. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

On my stihl handheld blower the muffler has a little piece that is threaded in right where the exhaust exits. You should be able to unscrew it and clean it with a torch/lighter or just remove it all together. Most people just take them out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. bullofthenorthwood

I appreciate the help neighbor. Blessings to you and your yard business

Rick

7. bullofthenorthwood

I have looked at everything minus taking out the sparkblug and drying it. I noticed gas was coming down a covering the muffler. It still will not start today. It seemed to try but simply wouldnt stay running both chocked, not chocked, throtlle set, not set. I cant get a plug wrench to turn when I get it hooked up. The space is so tight once on there the handle does not leave room to unscrew plug.

8. bullofthenorthwood

I still have had no luck in starting my BG85. Up to this point I have taken the spark plug out and replaced it. While the plug was out I cranked the blower several times. Checked muffler etc. I installed the plug back and it tried to start but would not keep running. I noticed when I was cranking it that small bits of gas were coming out of and wetting the end of the muffler. What is causing this and what do I do now? This blower was running perfect.:cry:

9. thorne_matthew

thorne_matthew LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

BG85

I couldnt tell if you had checked for a spark on the plug. Try that?

10. bullofthenorthwood

Good spark and with plug out. When I put this new plug in it did just start and then just stalled out several times.