1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Blower: 85D or 420?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mlong30, Oct 19, 2007.

1. mlong30

mlong30 LawnSite Member

Hi All,

I've narrowed my decision to purchase a Stihl blower. Problem is, which one.

I believe I can use it year round, instead of just blowing leaves. I saw my neighbor use his to dry off his motorcycle:laugh:

I'm not in the lawn business, but I have two houses I have to keep up, and I want my equipment to take the work out of working.

Can anyone give me the pros and cons between these two, or am I comparing apples to oranges?

Is the 420 powerful enough to blow 0-1 inches of snow? We get about 0-1 inches of snow or less here in Indiana, and I'm curious if I could use it sometimes instead of using my snow blower.

Last question: Who has the best deals for the 85d or 420? Online or Local? If online where can I purchase?

Thanks in advanced.

2. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Deffinately get the 420...or better yet the 500. I have been using my 380 for a couple of years now and wouldn't even look for another hand held unit. These backpack units are much more convenient to use and are more powerful. I have never heard someone complain that their blower is to powerful.

As for price, I have never seen much of a discount at all on any Stihl equipment. Best to buy local in case something breaks.
  3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

the 420 is a lot for a home owner easly gonna pay 300 for it but ull have it for years its worth the money and local is the way to go. then service is easy.
  4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

if your are even considering the thought of a BR 420... forget the hand held
    demo the BR 600
  5. HawKen

HawKen LawnSite Member

I went with a BR600 to handle the leaves. I also wanted it to clear snow. Depending on how wet the snow is, it easily handles 1" of wet and 2+" of powder. It clears the cement cleanly and doesn't leave any of the strips of snow that always become slippery. When we get a heavier snow, I just go out a couple of times while it's coming down. It usually only takes about 10 minutes to do.
  6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I only keep up my home and went with the Stihl BR600 after about 20 years with their handheld.

There is no comparison, I am starting to have some trees get larger and mature and getting more leaves and can now do in 5 minutes what used to take 15.