stihl blower acting up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nitroman, May 4, 2004.

1. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I could use all the help I can get. I have a bg85 stihl hand held blower and it is 11 months old. Just in the past three or four days when I get on the gas it bogs down. it is'nt puting out any pressure. I cleaned the mufler out in gas and burned it out, sprayed out the carb w/ cleaner-- nothing. I need it tomorow or I'm buying a echo back pack, any advise on those two would be great.

04 supreme mowchine chopper 60"
    97 36" ferris w/b
    12' 82" trailer
    fc 110 stihl edger
    echo straight shaft trimmer?

p.o.s. blower:D
  2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

First off... get a backpack. Check the rpms on the sucker and make sure you're not putting too many in there on full-throttle. Check the cylinder and piston for scratches & scapes.

Oh, Stihl's have a 12 month warranty, take it back to where ya got it and don't spend another second on it.
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you take the screen out of the muffler.

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

Replace the fuel filter in the tank and see if that helps. They can look clean but still not be letting enough fuel through at full throttle. It is recommended to change the filter once a season anyway. Also check and make sure that the choke is opening all the way.
  5. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

what specialtylc said ..... Take off/clean the Spark arrestor screen. It fills with carbon and backs the whole thing up. Very Common.
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Screen and fuel filter.
  7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree - remove the spark screen on the muffler exhaust port.
  8. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

It sounds as if your BG85 is doing the same thing that my BG55 was doing by the middle of the first season of owning it.

I had to crank on it for what seemed like 15 to 20 minutes to get it to start. Once it did start I had to fumble with the choke lever for another 10 minutes before it would run at full throttle. It did not matter if the thing was cold or hot. It was the same every time that I tried to start it.

I had it back to the dealer three times and the story was the same. "Nothing wrong with it".

I got fed up with it and got a Husky 225BX. It does not have the power that the Stihl had. But is blowing grass at full throttle after the second or third pull.
  9. weenatl

weenatl LawnSite Member

There might be a hole or a cut in the fuel line. Try replaceing that.
    That maybe keeping gas to go through.
    Good luck!
  10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

The carburator needs to be replaced, the same thing happened to ours last season and it was covered under warranty. Apperently the "welch" plug in the carb becomes unattached due to some sort of additive in the gasoline. We replaced ours and have had no problem.