stihl blower br420c magnum

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clay duncan, Oct 20, 2004.

1. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i just shelled out $425. for this backpack blower and am a little bit disapointed by its power. the manuel says peak power in 5 to 15 tankfulls but i think that it has a long way to go. it is not awful but i think the 85 series handheld has more power. i have most of stihls products and attatchments and have been well pleased. i am really glad i didnt get the br320. will this blower break in and pick up more power?.......clay

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the br400 and I think it is the same engine size as the br420. It can't touch my redmax7001. When I want to blow out a candle I get out the stihl. When I want to blow wet grass of the sidewalk after being caught in the rain I use the redmax. I'm done with stihl products. Redmax is my friend :cool:

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i have 2 stihl backpacks. i have a br 420c magnum thats 2 years old and an older br 400 series. i was as well a little worried about the 420 not having much power, it does get better as you run more tanks through thought. i think it is about the same as the older 400. i am a little dissapointed, but i really didnt know any better back then i guess.

if i had to do it over, i would have gotten a redmax or an echo.

4. jmt34

jmt34 LawnSite Member

Hey, I have a br320 (an older model) and a new br420. Just like the manual said, it started getting stronger after the break in period. Haven't used anything else, but I know that the 420 kicks the crap out of the older 300 series. Have no dealers for redmax in the area that I'm aware of, but I will look up their specs. It seems to me that all of the specs on large series backpacks are all about the same. As far as air volumne and speed. I can't help but wonder if it's mostly personal preference. Good luck.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I've got and had for sometime the BR400 & BR420 and they suck power wise esp compared the newer Echo's and Redmax. They will however hold up well. Also get ready to pull 5-6 times to start it everytime you crank it after a little while.

6. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

I too had a Br420.After using a Br400 for quite awhile, I couldn't wait until the 420's came in. I never did my homework on the specs between the two but I just knew it was going to be bigger and badder. Man was I disappointed.Granted, I never gave it a chance to break in but kind of sensed I was never going to be pleased with it and returned it that day.

However, the blowers have no impact on my choice of trimmers and edgers as I would take the Stihls anyday.

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The BR400...420..420 Magnum are all basically the exact same blower...w/different tubes/carbs...

Stihl has had sold the exact same blower in the 400 series as their "top of the line" blower for TEN YEARS. They were great 10 years ago...even 5 years ago...Today they're just pitiful.

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

$425 the dealer must not like you my dealer sells them to me for $380 they work well they are not super powerfull but they also do not cost 600-800 dollars. I do look forward to spring when the new br 550 and br 600 are comming out or what ever the numbers are. But for a lawn crew to blow off a driveway they are great why would you need a red max 8000 to blow off some clippings.

9. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

i'd been considering a stihl blower since my shindaiwa dealer ticked me off and redmax apparently doesn't want to sell anything in my area.

guess I may have to give in and go to the echo dealer. his prices suck, and he assumes that anyone under 30 is incompetent, but he does hold up his end of the bargain...no doubt about that.

my EB630 shindy is only about 8 months now and is awesome, but I wouldn't give the dealer another penny of my money towards any new equipment. I've considered just selling all the shindy stuff and getting different stuff so I don't even have to go in there to buy parts.

anyhow...the search continues

10. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

my dealer treats me very well. in fact they just replaced a throttle cable on a fs 85 and a complete carb on a fs 83 under warranty even though the warranty is long gone. the list price for the blower is 399. plus tax=426.93. i probably could have gotten a better deal but what the heck maybe next time.

i have 2 stihl bg 65 handhelds for grass clippings on driveways. i bought this to help move leaves off driveways and such. i should have researched the blower out a little more. i have always been happy with stihl, i just took it for granted that the br420 would be an awesome machine. my bad....