Stihl blower (BR420C) with no spark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by winecountrybum, May 13, 2004.

1. winecountrybum

winecountrybum LawnSite Member

I have owned my Stihl 420C for 1.5 years and it has worked flawlessly...until now. Tried to start it as usual (1 pull with choke on & half throttle, then 2 pulls no choke) but it this time it never kicked over and I could smell that it was flooded. Pulled the plug and it appears that I am not getting any spark.

Checked for continuity through the on/off switch in the handle. No broken wires going to the magneto. So I figured the magneto was bad, bought a new one, installed it and yet I have the same problem of no spark to the plug.

Anybody have an idea of what I should look for next?

2. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Was the plug good?

3. winecountrybum

Yes, I changed the plug at the very beginning, but no difference. I don't even get a spark when I disconnect the plug wire and hold it near the plug and crank it over.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Right underneath of the carb there should be a wire connector. This connector connects the thumb (on/off) switch to the engine. Pull the wires apart at the connector and see if it starts. If it does then there is a problem with the switch or wires leading to the switch. If it does not start then you have a problem with the wire going to the magneto or the magneto itself.

This is of course assuming there are no other problems like a carb, fuel, compression problem etc...

5. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

have you checked the plug wire?
    it might have broken down

6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: sounds like a bad ignition coil, tony

7. winecountrybum

Ok, problem is solved! Thank you to Richard Martin. The problem was an intermittent short in the wire going from the ignition coil to the on/off switch. Ran a new wire, and now everything works fine. Thank you everyone for the help.

8. 15001

15001 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know what the air gap spec is for the ignition coil ? need info please

9. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I set mine for the thickness of the cardboard box it came in. Seems to work fine.

10. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014