1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stihl blower brand new wont start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeshere89, Nov 16, 2003.

1. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

just bought a new stihl 55 blower and ran one tank of gas throu it and went to start it after filling it and it wont even think about turning over, i think maybe i have a bad kill switch. anyone else have this problem?
  2. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Take it back where you bought it.
  3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Never had the problem. All my handhelds are Stihls, including a 55. If brand new, you should go right back to dealer. One problem with Stihls are bad gasoline will kill the motor (not start). make sure the gas is freash and has 50:1 oil mix. Check plug and exhuast (spark) retarder.
  4. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Stihls don't start.......none of them do.

If you ever do get that sucker running, for goodness sake don't shut it off.

Your going to love your machine. I have one too.
  5. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Choke it ,prime it 3 times and pull,starts every time
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

BH 55 or SH 55???

If it's the SH 55 (blower + vac) check all of the safety kill switches.
  7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Why should you worry about it? If it is brand new, take it back to the dealer & let them deal with it.
  8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

It's either the on/off switch or the choke lever. Mine is just the opposite, starts great, but have to flip switch several times to get it to stop.
  9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I can get mine started ok but have to use the choke to turn it off sometimes. Theres a fault in the switch. No big deal but kind of stressed me the first time it happened when I couldnt work out how to turn if off. Yeah Yeah, dumb a55! It was hot and my brain was fryed, ok!