1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Blower Decision

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keli2000, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Keli2000

Keli2000 LawnSite Member

I was looking at purchasing a new Stihl BR 420C Backpack Blower for $400. I was approached by a person selling a 4-5 year old Stihl Blower/Sprayer SR420 Backpack for $175. The used one has only ben used lightly. I don't need to do a lot of blowing, but prefer the backpack to move oak leaves. Any suggestions one way or another?
  2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

If its in really good shape I would get the SR420 used. It looks to me like the sprayer comes right off, and you will have a BR420. You might need to plug a hole but thats about it.

FYI- This is what I can tell by the photos of the SR420. I own a BR420.

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the br420c magnum and it's one of the best purchases I have made. I definately say go with the new one. You can then have a warranty.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Have a New 420c And a New PB650. I Wish I Had Two 650!

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in the same spot. I was buying a new 420 when someone i know was selling a 5 year old br400. I bought 2 years ago for $100. and still use it today as my main backpack blower. The last two Fall seasons I said I was buying a new 420, but I can't get rid of the old one.
  6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Redmax = 4.75 HP

Stihl = 3.55 HP

We replaced (2) BR400's with the Redmax. The Redmax literally blows the Stihl away. It's not even close. Plus Redmax starts easier, and is smoother, and has a more tolerable sound.

Less vibration, too.
  7. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I would save for, redmax eb7001 rh, it is bad.

8. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Save your money!!! The BR-420C does not work well on oak leaves!! I know from first hand experience.

Get an Echo PB-650....it is the best blower I have ever owned and it will blow oak leaves to the next town! Much quieter than the BR-420C as well.

Spend the extra money and get a lot more blower!!
  9. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

I bought the br420 and love it. I also have the sh85 and use the shredder/vac for the flowering beds and when I need to blow a small area, it converts to a blower in less than 5 minutes.
  10. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

I have 6 Stihl blowers and i am very happy with all of them. I love those thing and my oldest is 6 years. I have had ZERO problems with them. My vote is for the br420.