1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Blower hard to START

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 1998tahoe, Jul 27, 2008.

1. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

I hace a BG-85 blower. Bought new October of 2007. Up until a few days ago it was super easy to start. Now it is very hard to start. I always run 93 octane fuel with STIHL High Performance 2-Cycle Engine Oil. What can it be??? Plug or tank filter, or carb need adjusting?????

Thank You
  2. Alpha Property

Alpha Property LawnSite Senior Member

you prob didn't run it full throttle all the time, running them at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle will cause the screens in the muffler to plug up, this happened with my small stihl trimmer, 2 options, replace the muffler, or pull the screens out of the muffler and run without
  3. flakebortch

flakebortch LawnSite Member

I bought a Stihl BR420 blower in April. It got harder to start over 3 weeks and then didn't start. Brought it back and the mechanic fired it up saying that it was very flooded. He didn't offer why (and I didn't think to ask) it was very flooded, and now it doesn't start again. Keep us posted, and I will too.
  4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I have a br420 magnum that is 4 years old, use it everyday. The trick is that when its cold, 3 pulls with choke on 2 pulls with choke off. That does it everytime! Try it, see if it works for you.
  5. echoman8

echoman8 LawnSite Senior Member

Most all problems on high quality units are fuel related.

With liittle info on why it is hard, I would suggest to check all fuel. Pour the gas from the gas tank into a glass jar. Any water or trash will show. If bad gas, change mix in gas can, replace fuel filter (in gas tank) then retry. If still hard to start or if it runs lean, then the secondary filter screen in the carb may be clogged.

Good luck

6. echoman8

echoman8 LawnSite Senior Member

The muffler screen as others mentioned is a good possibility. If it is clogged, it will be hard to start, will smoke a lot, and will sound quieter than before.

Good luck

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All I have are Stihls, I reckon at least a dozen hand helds.
    This is my number One procedure when a 2-cycler runs crappy:

Replace air filter and spark plug.

Yup, always, every single time.