Stihl blower problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Grasstamer, May 3, 2008.

1. Grasstamer

Grasstamer LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl BR420 blower, It runs perfect, until you shut it off,then it wont start back, if you let it set and cool off a while, it starts back up and runs fine,until you shut it off again.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Are sure it isn't flooded? Remove the gas cap before trying to start it hot to see if there is pressure build up. If thatisn't it ....sounds like coil...

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

When it gets hot, have you checked it for spark ? And what spark plug is in it ?

4. Grasstamer

Grasstamer LawnSite Member

Tried the gas cap trick today, not the problem, Probably the coil, I guess that is my next attempt, Wander how expensive those are ? I put a new plug in it last fall, the same size that was in it when I bought it. Appreciate the pointers guys!! Thats why I like this sight!!

5. rjxj

rjxj LawnSite Member

Coil is about $35.00

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Just because you replaced it in the fall doesn't mean that it could not have gone bad. Was it the same brand ? Before you replace the coil, you should make sure that the plug is not part of the problem.
    Chances are that it is the coil, but I have seen plugs fail when they get hot.