1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl blower start up problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lewdo, Aug 20, 2006.

1. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

Was wandering if anyone out there using the Stihl BG85 blowers have had problems with starting the units when their hot.

This year we bought two of these units along with a couple of Stihl weed eaters, the FS100RX's. The weed eaters start right up, but the blowers are a b.... to start when their hot.

After playing around with them, we have found that the gas tanks built up a significant amount of pressure and when we open the caps and relieve the pressure sometimes that helps starting the blowers. Other times we have to remove the plugs and clean them. Sometimes each morning before going out.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

No.... I never have an issue starting that engine unless something is wrong.

Sounds like your vent is bad or the fuel/oil mix you are using needs to be changed.
  3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Same problem here. Dealer replaced the unit. Still problems when hot . . . and it's been hot!
  4. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

No, mine starts right up all the time.
    I'm going to have to tinker with the starter rope though, its getting sticky and not retracting like it did.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think the 65 and 85 models went to the catalytic mufflers...........I wonder if that could have something to do with it...........a more restricted muffler for a cleaner exhaust......maybe its starting to carbon up?, The 55's still have a plain muffler

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Could be........
  7. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

dirty carb? stihl is notorius for this.
  8. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the imputs. I think I'll call Stihl today and see what they say. Doesn't sound like getting new ones will help and being under warranty, I hate tearing into the carb or muffler. Still can't figure out why the pressure in the gas tank gets so high?
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 340 backpack and a 55 handheld and both seem to always have pressure in the tanks, but they both have always ran great. The back pack is going on its 4th season and the 55 is in its 2nd season

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i admit mine isnt the easyist starting blower i have used either but it always starts after about 4 or 5 pulls cold . warm -no problem