Stihl Blowers vs Red Max Blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by LawnTard, Apr 29, 2013.

1. LawnTard

LawnTard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

After using Red Max blowers for over a decade and being in the lawn business for twenty five years. I thought I would try Stihl blowers because if I bought 10 pieces of Stihl I got a discount. I got six Stihl blowers (550) and five of them have been back to the shop in less than a month! I ask my friends in the business what they thought about Stihl blowers and the only ones that liked Stihl blowers had not tried Red Max blowers. Is there anyone that likes Stihl blowers more than Red Max blowers?

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

why did you get stihl 550 blowers and not br600 magnum blowers?

redmax or husqvarna blowers have more power so they are the top choice right now. i've had no problems with my br600 magnum though and i'm on my 3rd season with it.

3. LawnTard

LawnTard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I've scaled down my blowers, mainly because when they get stolen and it's easier on my employees when they have to pay for a new one.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like you need some sort of toolbox or cage on your trailer to keep everything locked up in or even an enclosed trailer.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i doubt the 600 is any more reliable than the 550. i use my 600 only during leaf cleanup season. i know these blowers have a short and usually troubled life. mine is used sparingly. i use the old br400 series for daily use.

6. GARRETTWOOD

GARRETTWOOD LawnSite Senior Member

Redmax, way more power and no problems at all.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a commercial Redmax backpack blower on ebay and love it.

8. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I currently have a Redmax EBZ8500RH and I bought a Stihl BR600 to use for leaf removals last fall. The redmax has tons of power and gets the job done. Side by side the BR600 isn't as powerful but isn't far behind. Its a little more fuel efficient than the redmax and is lighter and more comfortable to wear imo. I put easily 100 hrs on the BR600 last fall and didn't have one issue. Ran nothing but ethanol free 93 octane fuel and stihl HP ultra oil.

I sold the BR600 after leaf season since I had no need for two blowers. I WISH I would of kept it because its perfect for blowing grass clippings and is lighter and uses a little less fuel than the redmax.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i wanna get a husqvarna 580bts which is basically a redmax ebz8500 to use during leaf jobs.

it would even be nice to use for blowing grass clippings because i have some driveways that are really wide so i have to walk up one side and down the other with the br600. if i had the 580bts i could just walk down the middle and blow it all off at once. :laugh:

10. weesa20

weesa20 LawnSite Member

Have all stihl equipment, including br550, and love it. No problems. 93 octane and stihl ultra hp oil