stihl blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Nov 27, 2005.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I was just looking at the specs on the stihl 500 550 and 600. How is it that the 500 only has 477 cfm and the 600 is 712 and they both have the same engine. What is the differences then? oh yea and the 600 is lighter by about .5lb The only change other than cfm and air speed between these is the noise of them.

2. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I was actually looking at that the other week. Not sure why. I bought a new br 600 about 2 weeks ago and so happy that I did. It is great for cleanups. Was amazed the power it had.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, here's how that plays out...

The 500 and the 550 fit in one category.
    Same engine, but 1 HP less on the 500.
    However, the 500 is a low noise 65dB machine.
    If more people realized this, they would respect the machine more for what it is.

The 600 is in a second category.
    It's a 4 HP unit with a more agressive blower.

So this is the base line explaination for the differences in 3 blowers that look alike.

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Spend the extra 30-50 bucks and get the br 600. You wont be disapointed and you will make that money back so quick it is crazy. It doesn't sound like much of a blower but it blows.

5. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I understand the differences in HP and that the 600 is way better. It looks like they all have the same size cc engine though.

6. Envy Lawn Service

I believe the BR500 and BR550 share the same base engine.
    The 500 is just way weaker from having the low noise setup.
    Kills power.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This may or may not correlate, but I recently ran into this with their hand-held blowers, where the Bg-55 and the Bg-65 were rated different winds but the same CFM *AND* the same CC's... In my case, it turned out the nozzle on the bg-55 was round while on the bg-65 it was flat, so I bought the bg-55 plus a flat nozzle and so now I basically have the bg-65's mph at a slightly lesser cost. Evidently, the shape of the tip of the nozzle makes a difference...

As for backpacks, I bought the br-550 when it was the same price as the br-420 (and the 600 was way more at the time) and am very pleased with it... The other guy is right, they don't sound like much, but whoa...

By the way, the handheld blower is real dandy for those tight spots, man it used to frustrate me to get in the bushes with the backpack as everything catches on the branches and you can't get the nozzle in there grrr.... The handhelds have a surprising amount of power, thou it's not a backpack, I am very pleased with my new combo (handheld + backpack + 10hp push).

8. Envy Lawn Service

Topsites,

You should have consulted with me on this.. LOL...
    If you are surprised by the power of your BG 55, you should try the BG85.
    489 cfm 183 mph.... strong for a hand held.
    Comes stock with both the flat and round nozzle.