Stihl blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdboss, Oct 11, 2006.

1. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

Does anyone else have this problem? When I mount my Stihl BR420's to my Trimmer Trap blower racks the small shock absorbing springs will break after a couple days on the trailer. I was wondering if you guys had this problem and/or what was your solution. Thanks for the help.

2. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I've have two of them on both of my trailers, I use buyer, name brand, with a post and pin for the back rest, where does yours mount at? I have never had a problem with mine. I have heard the new back pack racks for the 550 and 650 do have a problem. with the handle breaking on the blowers

3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I built a rack for my BR600. It basically a large hook for the top hand hold handle and I have a cross piece that extends to each side of the blower, with a hole in the middle that I use a bungee cord to strap across it and hodl the blower tight against the wall. I have gotten into the habit of not putting the bungee around it because it does not fall off. But after reading abotu your issue, I will start bungeeing it all of the time to prevent this form occuring.

4. Grimmy

Grimmy LawnSite Member

FYI
    Go to northerntool.com. They have a rack, at a reasonable price $40.00. Mine works great. Mounted to the front rail of my trailer. Same type as Noseha thread. Another advantage I like with this type of mounting, I can start up the blower while it is mounted.

5. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. The racks I use are Trimmer Trap brand, and the specific blower rack looks exactly like the buyers rack you guys mentioned. Not too sure what I am going to do abou this.

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Do you need an adapter for those blowers on a TT system? I know we had to buy adapters for the top of the blowers for our Jungle Jim's racks. Could be too much free room or something.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

After putting in a new spring get some kevlar ribbon cord and tie the handle to the blower fan so that the spring can't get overstressed. The kevlar is used for stacking up trees and is sold in rolls.....it is good for a lot of things like tying equipment in place on trailers. It is easy to knot but also easy to get it apart.

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i have seen this before on all of them but more so on the racks that are mounted tworsd the back or middle of the rigs the ones mounted at the front are not so bad

9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 2 BR 420 magnums mounted on green touch racks. One is towards the front of the trailer and the other one is on the other side and towards the back of the trailer. I have replaced all the springs at least twice on the one in the back, but only 2 springs on the one in the front. The are both about 4 years old. Just too much bouncing around.

10. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

thanks for the tips guys. if its raining tomorrow i may move the racks to the front of the trailer.