Stihl Blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikegyver, May 5, 2011.

1. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a stihl guy so don't question my brand choice. I realize other makes have better machines depending on what you are looking at...but stihl is a one stop shop for me....SO....
    Whats the difference between the BR 550 and the BR 500? The bigger one is much cheaper than the smaller one????? Whats with that?
    But, which stihl blower is the best one for the money??? Don't want to get over 450 with tax.
    Thanks,
    mike

2. stlouis grass cutter

stlouis grass cutter LawnSite Member

Go to www.stihl.com and compare the models. Easy to find the information, found it in less than two minutes.

3. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

MCC, I was in the same boat you were not too long ago. I was torn between the two models, and even had the 600 on my list. From all I could figure, the 550 was larger and louder and more powerful, which is what I was looking for. If I recall correctly, the 600 was even better than that, but I couldn't bring myself to drop the extra 50-80 dollars for the bigger machine, especially since I was upgrading from the 420. Having had the 550 for 2 years now (I think), I have never questioned my decision.

Save a few bucks, get the 550.

4. Mikegyver

I know. i compared them and the CHEAPER One has another BHP and blows harder...what gives?
    mike

5. MowingMowingMowing

MowingMowingMowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Buy the 600 Magnum, damn good machine.

6. Mikegyver

But so expencive....like I said wanted to stay 450 or lower.
    mike

7. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

The BR500 is a special low noise model. I can easily talk with people while it's idling on my back. You can spot the "muffler" on the blower tube for the most visible difference.
    As for power, the BR500 is the least powerful in the series (probably because it's limited in RPM's to reduce noise), with the BR600 at the top, and the BR550 somewhere in the middle.

So, if you care about noise (or have restrictive local noise ordinances), then the BR500 is for you. Otherwise, it's not worth the expense.

8. cashishift

cashishift LawnSite Member

pay with cash..

ask dealer to cut you a deal?

9. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

The best blower stihl makes is the 420. That's the model id get.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Around here I can buy a new 600 Magnum for $499 + tax. The difference between a 550 and the 600 where perfomance is concerned is much wider than the difference between the 500 and 550. For $50 more, I'd buy the 600 and never think twice.
    I happened to buy a 600 last fall from a local LCO that was going out of business (like so many around here are) for $225. It was only a couple months old (saw the receipt), and looked like it just came out of the store. I love it. It is awesome. I even used it this spring to clean all the gravel and caked down dirt from several yards around here along the road edge where the county jerks had blasted literally a ton of road gravel onto everyone's yards. Got everything out, even some pretty large stones with no problem. Beats the snot out of raking.