1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

STIHL blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by double e, Nov 20, 2000.

1. double e

double e LawnSite Member

I just purchased a Stihl backpack blower. I don't have the model # off hand, but it's the most powerful one they have.

I'm kind of dissapointed- not by the blowing power, I am very impressed by the way it runs- But when it runs!

It will run fine, then the next day won't even turn.
    Almost like I'm flooding it
    I pull the spark plug out and its soaked
    Your probably thinking I can't start a blower- but have 4 others and never had a problem

I've taken it back to dealer, he returns it and it runs fine for awhile- should I tell him to get me a new one
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

those br 400's are touchy on the choke
    I would never pull it over more than 4 or 5 times with the choke on.
    turn the choke off by the 5th pull and pull a couple more times if it is flooded it should start.
    other than that be the problem, I would check the carb settings.
    also, I always start them at full throttle, and as soon as it starts throttle it down to warm it up
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

The guy who helped me get started swore by the Stihl blowers and I have had no problems with mine. He is a large company and buys them more than I and he told me his last two were duds.

Also, has anyone noticed that the bump heads on the trimmers are wearing out faster now? Are they making them out of a cheaper plastic so they can sell more? Really makes me mad to pay $$ for a cheap piece of plastic. [​IMG]

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it is possible to flood the br-400. I've done it but it usually isn't a problem. if I flood it very often, I change plugs and it's usually long time before it floods again.

I wouldn't be happy at all if I bought one new and it was screwing up right out of the box.

mine is in service over four years and never been back to the dealer. the choke knob recently broke however.

5. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I have 3 Stihl trimmers that start and run great, but I do have a blower just like yours. It will run fine one day and the next day or yard it takes an act of God just to get it started. I can take it to the dealer and they make it run well for about 2 days. Then we are back to really hard starts and lots of bad language. It's my belief that mine is a lemmon.

When it does run it's a world beater, when it's being temprmental, it's real close to being sold or in the garbage can.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I had some Echo's like that. I finally gave up and sold them. I've used Shidaiwa and Red Max since.
  7. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Pull with choke on twice, pull with no throttle twice, pull with a little throttle once and off you go.
  8. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Pull with choke on twice, pull with no throttle twice, pull with a little throttle once and off you go.Cold only. No choke after first start.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I dont know how the Stihl's are, but my Echo backpack starting sequence when cold is....two primer pumps....full choke setting....one pull....release choke.....pull second time to start....ALL THE TIME. When its warm out, half squirt of primer and one pull thats it. Its never flooded, and never takes more than 3 pulls ever. This holds true for my Echo edger and weed wacker. This is why I stick with Echo.

10. sunrise

sunrise Banned

remove the screen in the muffler