Stihl BP spring and doo-dad replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by crawdad, Dec 30, 2003.

1. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the springs on my backpack blower broke, so I got the kit to replace them. You know, the springs that it hangs from. Well, I replaced them all, so I'm not doing it over again in a little while. The kit comes with the three springs and hardware, and these little doo-dads that are put on the handle. I'm not sure if they are for vibration damping, or static electricity shielding. I put them in thier, and now the case doesn't close up tightly, wind blows up on my neck from in between the handle.
    Here's my question. What is the purpose of these little paper things? If they are important, I'll leave them in there, and seal up the case with silicone caulk. If not, I'll take them out.
    Crawdad

2. crawdad

Well, 14 views, and no one knows what them little doo-dads are for? I'm leaning towards taking them out, as the cold breeze blowing on my neck is sorta uncomfortable.
    Crawdad

3. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Craw dad, Why dont you call stihl s tech line and ask them, they are very helpfull, one of the reasons I have started moving towards stihl for more of my equipment....

4. SCAPEASAURUSREX

Are you talking about the rubber vibration mounts that attach the fan housing to the frame ???

What doo dads that go in the handle ??

5. crawdad

Little sticky squares that are placed between the handle and the case.
    Crawdad

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

I didnt see them on the parts breakdown ?

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

No idea man. I have had a few springs break also, but I let the shop fix them. Too much of a PITA for me to do it. :D

8. crawdad

I don't think they were part of the original design. That's why I thought maybe they are important. To fix a possible design flaw or something. They are just little sticky squares that go between the handle and the housing. I'll look for the paper that came with the kit, if I didn't throw it away.
    Crawdad