Stihl BR 400 open throttle bog

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bunton Guy, May 4, 2005.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a Stihl br400 blower off ebay from Jewels & tools...blower looks good but when run at full throttle it bogs...not to the point of the engine cutting off. I have tried cleaning the carb and have not yet checked the fuel lines. One thing I noticed was when I took off the air filter while running their was a decent amount of fuel/oil mist shooting out of the air filter housing. Is that normal? should I rebuild the carb? it idles fine, low throttle operation fine & mid throttle it operates and sounds normal. Its only when put to full throttle that it bogs to the point of almost shutting off. any idea?

2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

did you check the spark arrester screen on the exhaust? 2 cycle stuff tends to clog them over time.

3. cariboulou

cariboulou LawnSite Member

thats what I think is the problem too.

4. Bunton Guy

It has no screen. I took the muffler off and ran it without a muffler...same problem! looked at the exhaust port walls and it is black but free of built up soot.

5. cariboulou

cariboulou LawnSite Member

next step is to adjust high mxture if applicable. some of the newer models only have one adjustment screw. My br400 also spits a little fuel out of the carb onto the air filter as well. check your fuel filter as well, it might be just a little restrictive. the process of elimination will fix this eventually.

6. Bunton Guy

Thanks for your help guys I get her up and running on my lunch break today. I forgot that it was an older model thus meaning I CAN adjust the carb unlike the new 1 touch does it all carbs EPA or whatever makes the new blowers have.

So I tinkered around with the main jet and got it running better with no bog.

7. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

what did ya pay for that blower off of ebay....

whats the list (new) price

8. Bunton Guy

List is $415.00 with tax included...I bought it used (and works great!) for $125.00 shipped to the house. I used it for 3 days now and my guys say it works just like new!