1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Br 400 Starting Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by FIRE, Nov 8, 2006.

1. FIRE

FIRE LawnSite Member

Hi there need some help have a Stihl BR 400 backpack blower,and having problems starting.I have to choke it 3 or 4 times when its cold,then it starts.But when we turn it off and let is sit and try to start it say 15 to 20 minutes later you have to choke and pull the rope maybe 20 times and is still
    might not start.If we let it sit for about 3 minutes it will start with 1 or 2 pulls.
    Any help with this problem would be appreciated.Thanks Fire:confused:
  2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

A new spark plug really helps its performance. I didn't change mine for about a year, and when i did, it was like a completley different blower. Try changing that and your air filter.
  3. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The coil after a while on the br-400s tends to get a little weak, making for hard starting when hot. Make sure your fuel cap is venting okay, check the fuel filter.
  4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i wish they would put this up as a sticky
    1 turn blower on
    2 put throtle to half
    3 pull till it hits(it will not start but hit a few times and die)
    4 turn choke off
    5 pull till it starts(DO NOT CHOKE AGAIN IT WILL FLOOD!!!)
    this is the cold starting method in step 5 if it dont start on the 4-5 pull something is wrong with it
    warm start
    1 put throtle to half
    2 pull till it starts(if it dont start on the third pull choke it and pull ONCE then turn choke off)
    if it dont start someting is wrong with it
  5. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

first change air filter 2. change spark plug 3. change fuel filter. I wouldn't worry about the coil. What about the gas, old? use high oct gas(premium) and stihl oil. don't flood it once you get the plug wet your done. full throttle and pull. have you cleaned your carb?
  6. BareFeet

BareFeet LawnSite Member

check the spark aresstor and if it is legal pull it out and throw it away
  7. FIRE

FIRE LawnSite Member

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help.I put a new plug in it this
    weekend and cleaned the air filter and it starts and runs much better.Thanks Fire.:)
  8. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

My br400 had a similar problem and I did all the normal stuff,plug fuel and air filter and a new cap. Nothig I narrowed it to the coil and replaced it and so far 2 days balls to the wall without trouble.:)