Stihl BR 400/won't start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bluemoon, May 11, 2003.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I have been using Opti2 mix on this blower and decided to give Amsoil a try.
    I started the day using the backpack, with the idea to run the Opti2 dry and then switch over to the Amsoil. This is what I did, it was running fine, then ran out of gas switched over to the Amsoil and it won't fire. I have tried 3 new spark plugs and nothing.
    Any ideas?
    P.S. - it doesn't get used much and doesn't get banged around. I would say it is in good shape as far as use & abuse.
    Thanks for any help.
    Bluemoon

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

What ratio did you mix the Amsiol. I'm not sure, but I believe you are supposed to use less of the Amsiol compared to regular 2 cycle. I know that my BR400 can be a pain in the a** to start, but its usually because its flooded. If thats the case, try no choke with the trottle wide open and pull until it starts. Sometimes it take 20-30 pulls for mine when its flooded really bad. I am going to switch brands with my next backpack.

3. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

I do remember reading a while ago that you use something like half the amount of amsoil as you would with other mixes... Not sure of that because i use Stihl's mix on my BR420. Ditto on Esby regarding the starting after flooding.
    -Coop