Stihl BR 400

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigfishford, Oct 5, 2006.

1. bigfishford

bigfishford LawnSite Member

I just was given a ten year old Stihl blower BR 400. It seems to work okay, but I think the idle set screws are not as good as they could be. It has three set screws, one low, one high, and one below that is larger?
    Anyone have experince in the proper way to adjust these three screws for best operation at idle and high output? I do not have any manuals at all for this blower so I would appreciate any help. Does anyone know an online place to get or review an owners manual for this old blower? THANKS!

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you mess it up, you're on your own lol.

The larger screw is your idle speed control.
    The low screw is for adjusting the mixture on LOW throttle.
    The high screw is for adjusting the mixture on HIGH throttle.

So long that it runs, if idle is your only problem, adjust only the large screw then...

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

sthil br400-still the best backpack blower ever made.

4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know dude...the br600 is pretty killer!

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the br 600 is tops in preformance but is new technology where as the br400 is tried and true. it once was truly the standard which all other blowers were judged by. you used to see them on everyones trailer. mine is the best machine i have ever owned. not one problem ever in 10 yrs of use and it was used when i got it! -i have a brand new one i bought 10yrs ago and never used it cause the old one is still working

6. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Had mine for quite a long time as well without any problems.I do like my BR600's for power though.