Stihl BR 600 Review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IRRITECH, Apr 25, 2011.

1. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

My Kaw 750 died after 4-5 years of daily use. We maintain several storage units sites and I needed something quick. Found a lightly used BR600 for $300 and bought it. I never buy Stihl equipment as I don't think the quality is there. Anyway, here are my thoughts after 2 weeks.

Pros

-Comfortable, wow!! one thing they did right. it is without a doubt the most comfortable blower I have ever run.

-Lightweight, blower seems light to me. Combined with the comfort that's great.

Cons

- Uhhh... where's the power?? It's rated higher than my Kawi and I am failing to see it as an equal. My shidaiwa 8510 really blows this thing away.

-Gas, it sucks gas. Comparable to the shindaiwa and IMO much more than the 750.

- Gas cap. Okay this is just a personal peeve, but the gas cap is a pain in the butt. If you don't get it on just right, here comes the gas........

Overall

Not what I expected due to all the hype. Lightweight and comfortable, but doesn't live up to my expectations in the power department.

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Do you realize that the gas tank on the BR600 is much smaller than competitors' gas tanks? So the fuel runs out quicker, it isn't necessarily due to fuel consumption.

I can't compare my BR600 to other brands but I love the power that mine has, really makes leaves easy.

Nice review though!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

dont expect it to go 4-5 years of daily use either

4. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Just checked on that and the BR600 holds 30% less gas than the Shindy or the Kawi. Good point, and another con to add, long term blowing like leaves or large areas will result in more frequent gas fill ups, which results in more trips back to the truck.

5. modedicebox

modedicebox LawnSite Senior Member

Wrong. I have a few left I got when they first came out. Use the right oil/fuel and adjust valves each season. Great blowers.

6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

The fuel consumption on mine are pretty good. The tank is small, and if you have the single filter in the tank, it will often feel like it is running out even when there is 20% left.

The sound is much different than a regular 2 stroke. It is a little quieter, and it is a lower pitch. It is easy to associate the lower noise with less power.

The gas cap sucks ass.

I have had mine for 4 years of daily use, and heavy fall use.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yea tell that to all the guys that had the valves stuck in top of the cyclinder. No reason to buy those units at all unless you can't pack a little weight.

8. jas1980

jas1980 LawnSite Member

I like the ergonomics of the Stihl more than the bigger tank of the Shindy. The Stihl blowers are a few noticeable pounds lighter and I get less sore. Because they are lighter, the plastic casing seems to be a bit more fragile. When we do leaf cleanups my trailer has 3 blowers on it, 2 stihl-1 shindaiwa. I take a Stihl and my two laborers fight for the other one.

And Im on season 3 of a BR600 and I expect at least one more good year from it. Im using it constantly on a grass cutting route. Even if you took half ass care of a BR600, you'll get your investments worth from it.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i vote for the stihl br600...i'd rather have lighter weight than a little more power any day...either one will get the job done just the same

10. SkinnyVinny

SkinnyVinny LawnSite Senior Member

love mine, plenty of power just at a low rev which is awesome i think... I dont get what the big deal is with the cap... half twist and pull.. push back in and half twist opposite way... unless your a ******, i really cant see how anyone can complain about this... The only thing that does suck is the gas..