Stihl BR 600

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doitforjohnny, Feb 21, 2008.

1. doitforjohnny

doitforjohnny LawnSite Member

Hello,
    I've been doing some research here on Backpack Blowers and I made a decision to go down to my dealer and check out the Stihl BR 600. I called them to see if they had one in and they said they weren't selling them anymore and they do no recommend me buying one. I asked why and they said that "they brake down too much due to the 4 cycle engine". "It's been a nightmare" they said. They said that they had like 12 of them in the shop.

What is the equivalent to the BR 600? Echo 755?

I need something comfortable and powerful at the same time.

Johnny

2. ECHO4LIFE

ECHO4LIFE LawnSite Member

The PB 755T is the equal to the BR600 except it doesn't't need valve adjustments and special two stroke oil to break down carbon on the valves. ECHO's are reliable and durable and the two year commercial warranty doesn't hurt either.

3. GreenSouth Landscapes

GreenSouth Landscapes LawnSite Member

Echo PB 755t as mentioned before, it has more power anyway. although i think the prices were raised this year, which sucks badly.

4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I have owned both and the 600 has more usable power to the groundIMO

5. doitforjohnny

But at the price of it breaking down on you right? The BR 600 must have some serious problems if a big supplier here in my city does not want to carry it.

6. wimpy

wimpy LawnSite Member

I've been using a BR 600 for about 2 years now. I use their synthetic oil so I don't have any problems. It's a great blower and it's pretty quiet.

7. doitforjohnny

So do you think that it's the wrong oil thats causing the problems? Could be.

8. wimpy

wimpy LawnSite Member

I'm positive. It depends on the dealer you have. Some are ignorant and some are informative. Fortunately for me I have a good dealer. The dealer should tell any customer what kind of maintenance is required on whatever machine. My dealer told me that Stihl made the synthetic oil specifically for their 4-mix equipment and they even said themselves that any regular oil including Stihl oil will give 4-mix machines problems with carbon build up, valves getting stuck, losing power. I think this is the reason why people are having problems with their 4-mix or C4 engines. Either the dealers are not informing them how to use it, or they ignore it.

9. doitforjohnny

Hey thanks for the info! I'm going to ask the dealer tomorrow if these people were using the appropriate oil. Thanks.

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have 3 Stihl BR-600's and have used only Stihl oil in the orange container for two full years now.

No problems whatsoever.

I think the problem is using cheaper off brand oils and or improper mixes......