Stihl BR320... RedMax 7001???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Sep 27, 2005.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well as we head into fall, I've sort of got a problem. My 1999 Stihl BR320 BP blower is seeming sort of inferior to some of the blowers on the market today. Today, the right hand throttle, and on/off switch broke. The throttle will not stay in the "up" position (yields full throttle without holding up the throttle). I've got it rigged up with some duct tape, so it always runs at full throttle. I've got about 500 hrs on the Stihl with no real complaints, but I'm not going to put anymore real money into it. I'd really like to have a good BP blower for this fall. I'm looking into getting a new blower for all around use. I want a blower that is powerful enough to power through alot of leaves, but not too bulky to use in the Spring and Summer. I'm seriously thinking of getting the Red Max EB7001. My dealer quoted me $469 for a 7001 out the door. Anyone have any real problems with their 7001, or wish they'd have gotten a different blower? Thanks in advance.

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone???????

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Never an issue with the EB7001. We have 10 and I can't say enough good things about them. As far as pricing, check eBay. I have seen them go for less than $400 including shipping for brand new units. The last few we bought were $379.00

4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

We have 3 EB7000's, 2 7000's and one 7001. The 2 7000's were purchased in 2000 (?) I have replaced a couple of throttle cables and a couple of stop switches thats about it, never a major problem. These things are gluttons for punishment and will serve you well in ALL seasons. Good machines.

James

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, not to Hi jack the thread. I havent used the 7001 but for the price you are getting close to the price of the stihl br600 which is a smaller and stronger unit and your other stihl has lasted 6 years.

6. butler L&S

butler L&S LawnSite Member

I've had the throttle trigger and kill switch on my EB7001 break. They were both relatively cheap and easy to fix. Other then that it has been a great blower.

7. niederhauser lawn care

niederhauser lawn care LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have about 8 stihl blowers sitting in my shop doing nothing. I have never used a redmax 7001 but I do own a little hand held. I use the shindaiwa eb630 backpack blower. Call me crazy but I will never buy another stihl blower or trimmer. Get the redmax or even check out the shindaiwa.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Red Max EB7001
    shindaiwa eb630
    Echo PB751
    Stihl BR600

All good strong sensible blower choices.
    I like the Sthil BR600 best overall.

Some also seem to like those new Maruyama blowers too.
    They look good but only come with frame mount throttle...

9. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I love my 7001. I got it last fall. I broke the cruise control switch, only because I tried to throttle it up with the switch instead of the trigger. It cost me like $3.00 for the part and about an hour to fix because I had to modify it to work right. Other than that, I like it a lot. It has a lot of power, (fun to get a huge pile of leaves rolling and watch them all just fly away.) It starts on the first pull 99% of the time and the 1% is probably me just horsing around seeing how little effort it takes to start it. I want to get a second blower, preferably the 8000 cause I like the 7001 so much.

10. beaver

beaver LawnSite Member

I have a 7000 and a br 600. Stihl is stronger and lighter. The 7000/7001 are excellent machines. The 7001 has a little bit more power, but if you can get the 7000 cheaper than get it. They are excellent for leaves and grass clippings as well. You might want to check into the BR 600 before you buy!