1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl BR400 died

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fourbybud, Mar 20, 2009.

1. fourbybud

fourbybud LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hey guys, yesterday I was using my old and faithful BR400 backpack blower when I felt a big thud, like I backed into something but didn't, and it lost all power and just spits and sputters. It has spark, 120 lbs of compression, and seems to be getting fuel because it smokes and backfires out the exhuast.
    Anyone have any ideas on what might have happend?

Thanks in advance.

2. cutitright

cutitright LawnSite Member

I have a BR-400 and experienced the same problem last year. I found the small screen, in the end of the exhaust pipe on the muffler had become plugged up with carbon. This carbon will not allow the engine to breath and run properly or not run at all. The screen on mine was held on by a spring clip that can be removed with pliers. Once the clip is off, remove the screen and clean it using a small wire brush and solvent. Once it is cleaned and reinstalled, the unit ran like new! This suggestion may or may not be the problem. Just my experience with this blower! Good luck!

3. twotone

twotone LawnSite Member

something get lodged in the blower fan?

4. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Likely the exhaust, or the ignition module (just because you have spark doesn't mean it's good)

I'm betting it's carboned up.

5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

And caused the flywheel/fan key to shear?

6. fourbybud

from Ohio

Well I took it apart after work only to have both piston rings come out in two pieces!!!!
    Looks like it might be time to go shopping. I liked the BR400 on power what do you think I should go for next?
    I already own other Stihl and Tanaka equipment so I would like to stay with one of them.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If you are looking for something within the same power range, I would suggest the stihl BR420. If you want to get more power go for the BR600.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Spend the extra and get the 600, don't look back wishing.

9. weasel

weasel LawnSite Member
    from 5

I agree with the BR600 we have them and love'em. Fix the 400 when you can for an extra or stand by

10. fourbybud

from Ohio

Does the BR600 really have that much power? Is there anything to watch out for on them?