Stihl BR400 PB Blower Gas Leak Help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Jul 3, 2004.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys I have problem with a BR400. It appears to be leaking gas and is hard to keep running all of a sudden. The reason I say appears is because I have taken it apart and don't see any clear leak, but I fill the tank up and in a couple days the tank is empty but there also is no large pool of gas around it to tell where it is leaking from, just vanished gas and it is sitting inside in my shop where nobody is messing with it or anything like that. If I filled it up, in say 2-3 days with no use it would be empty and you can smell the gas in the shop slightly. I took it out of service of course. It also only seems to run when the tank is completely full after that I can't keep it running so i have switched to my backup. I guess I'll take it to my dealer but anybody else had this happen or have any ideas?

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Check the fuel line. I had a problem with the fuel line with mine, the part that ran from the tank to the engine. Somehow it got cut, and was leaking gas out of it, same kind of situation. Simple fix, but you gotta take the orange cover off.

Also, check the seams in the tank.

:D

3. MMLawn

Thanks, I'll look at that. I took the covers off and looked at the seams as that was what i first thought but it looks okay and the star screws are tight.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

It sounds like the same problem I had. The hose will suck in air through the hole too, causing the engine to run weird. If I remember right, it's all one big long hose and there is a stopper where it enters the tank. Check that area too.

Good luck!

:D

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmmmm?;)

6. MMLawn

What a great response to serious question there albemarle lawn...........FLAME ON!

7. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

fuel line rot or maybe hairline crack presser test the tank