1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl br400 trouble. HELP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RYAN, Jun 2, 2001.

1. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I just bought the thing in October and am already having trouble. Sometimes it will run perfectly fine a then other times it will start and run but when I give it gas it will stall out after a few seconds, If I choke it when it is dying I can kkeep it running but when I give it gas again it will die again. I have checked the spark arrester, fue, fuel filter, air filter, all seem to be ok, not sure whart else to do. I am ready to go to the store and get a new arrester , fuel and air filter and if that doesn't do it buy an Shindy backpack and move on. Any suggestions??:angry:
  2. casey

casey Guest

Make sure the fuel filter is hanging to the bottem of the tank. I had the same proplem with mine because the gas wasn't getting to the fuel filter.
  3. mowin'man

mowin'man LawnSite Member

Check your carb, it could be sticking.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I assume you have installed a new plug. my br-400 is five years in service and doing fine. it soes seem to be hard on plugs though.

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We have five of them and all run fine. One crew even put diesel in one and it ran! Can't beat them in my opinion. If it is new take it back to the dealer to find the problem. Every brand will have a lemon once in a while.
  6. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

Try the adjustments on the carb, it could just be running too lean or too rich. Have two of them and think they're the best.
  7. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like a fuel problem to me. However I highly recommend not adjusting the screws on the carb. If you don't know what you're doing you can cause more damage than what you cure. If it is set too lean you can burn the piston and cylinder up! Most of the newer units have tamper resistance caps anyway, required in California to meet the EPA regulations. Most machines set the high idle screw by enginge rpm specs, if the engine exceeds this you will have increase perform for a SHORT period of time until the engine siezes! The other posts have good suggestions.
    Another thing to check if the unit runs good for awhile after setting for a period of time or after a refuel, is the fuel cap. Most fuel caps have a vent hole and antileak parts. If the hole becomes plugged the tank will form a vacuum while the unit is running, thus causing the exact problem you state.
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

There are two orange idle screws, one for high and one for low, may want to try that, but keep track of where they were origannaly so you dont mess it up. also, there may be a little screen type thing somewhere on the muffler, its a pollution control devise. Your dealer can find it if you cant, that could be the problem too.
  9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I know this is probably something you've checked, but mine did the same thing with bad gas. I mixed a fresh 2.5 gallons, drained the old and it ran fine. never had another problem besides starter cords. I've worn out two! Dave g
  10. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

Well I've tried all sorts of new gas, new plug, Cleaned out the carb last night which had some grass in it and when i was done it would not start at all. It would start and run for a second from starter fluid then die. I am lost. I am just about ready to fork over $450 for a Shin to put my mind at ease.:mad: