stihl br420 vacuum system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Accu-cut Lawn Care, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw a company using an old br400 as a vacuum and it looked pretty cool. After doing some digging, I've found that the new 420's are available with a bagging system...but not the 600's:confused: . Does anyone have experience with these units? What will and won't it pick up(coke cans, twigs)? Is the bagging system available on the 600's. Thank you and merry x-mas.

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

A bagging system for the Stihl BR400 BP blowers...never heard of it! Why would you want to bag with a BP blower anyway? I don't see how that would even work out?:confused:

3. Accu-cut Lawn Care

I saw one in use and it looked pretty cool. It would probably work well to pick up cigarette butts, leaves out of corners, and litter. At the flick of a switch it converts to a blower; so, it would probably be useful for end of season cleanups.

4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

The bag looked pretty big and did not hinder the operators movement.

5. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I would guess it couldnt pick anything up that the impeller couldnt chop up. Usauly it is just a tube that hooks up to where the air is taken in. It couldnt change to a blower by a flip of a switch unless it was some highly complicated system.

6. mkwl

Yeah really! You'd have to change the rotation of the engine to do that....that'd be real expensive if it could even be done!

7. Accu-cut Lawn Care

The 420's really do convert from blowing to bagging with a lever type switch. I talked to a guy at Ace hardware that had just sold a unit with the vac system and the stihl parts manual clearly stated "blowing to vac at the flip of a switch".

8. mkwl

Are you sure you have the model # correct? I have a BR320, and I don't see how you could convert it to a vacum effectively.

9. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Only way I see it is if you had a wrong model and it was for an electirc thats the only thing you can possibly change rotation on instantly unless there is a gear box.

10. Accu-cut Lawn Care

I believe that it is the sr420; but I'll know tomorrow.