Stihl br420

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little green guy, Dec 13, 2000.

1. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl is going to come out with a new model backpack blower called the br420.

The company that I work for on the side was choosen to test beat this new model before it comes out.

The br 420 is pretty much just an updated version of the br400. The casing and stuff is redesigned but nothing to major. The reps siad that they have fixed the hard starting problem. I got a chance to use it today, it was pretty good but still dosn't compare to the redmax and shindawias, although it does seem to have a little more power than the older blowers. The reps did say that stihl is also going to come out with a newer model comparable to the redmax, so we'll have to see what they come up with. The 420 is an improvment though. After I used the 420 I used one of the redmaxxes and I still like the redmax better.

2. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

Forget Stihl, the longevity stinks.
    We have a shindaiwa blower that has been around for at least ten years and is still used daily. We have never had a stihl last over three seasons.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

nathan--that's pretty unfortunate luck you have with sthil blowers.

mines four years old and running great. zero problems except for the usual broken choke knob. replaced once for $1.80.

I remember the shindawa I tried the same day I bought the sthil. I didn't like it.

GEO

4. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

They are bringing out a BR-420 and BR-340.

Saw them at the show in Indy.

Rep. there said two pulls, turn off choke.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If they want to fix the "hard to start every freakin' time" problem all they need to do is put a primer bulb on the thing. The hard starting is the only thing I don't like about mine. Everytime it's 7 or 8 pulls to start.

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here mine is 5 years old and the only oroblem is that it is hard to start.

7. Guest

I MUST HAVE 2 OF THE BEST STIHL'S EVER MADE. I HAVE 2 BR400'S AND THEY ARE BOTH 6YRS. OLD. WHEN I START THEM I PULL 3 TIMES WITH THE CHOKE ON AND THEN TURN IT OFF AND OFF WE GO. DON'T UNDERSTAND ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH STARTING YOURS.

8. pete

pete LawnSite Member

REO,

I do the same thing. 3 pulls w/ choke and then it will start with 1 or 2 pulls after that

9. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

Same here 3 pulls and off to work we go.

10. WALKERMOW

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

same here ..3 pulls max..i have 4 br400's 1 is 6 years old never any problems