1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl BR550 or BR600 blower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by recycledsole, Nov 4, 2012.

1. TempleLawnCare

TempleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Basically it saved my butt on a 5 acre cleanup today and has allowed me to move on to my residentials. In my mind it has already paid for atleast a third of itself, by keeping me going this weekend. By the end of the week it will have paid for itself.
  2. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

ah ok. thank you all very much
    i am looking for a walk behind blower also- the 10 or 13hp one preferably

thank you very much for all your reccomendations
  3. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going to buy stihl get the 600. I don't know why they still make the 500 and the 550. I'm pretty sure they have the same motor the difference is the squirrel cage on them. If you are going with the husky get the 570 or 580. From what I've heard on here the 580 is better at volume the 570 is better at get leaves that are stuck in bushes or vines. I have a BG 13hp blower that I got used. Great blower but if you have the money always get the biggest blower you can. I think you can get the BG 18hp VG for like 2800.or the 13 for like 2300.
  4. TempleLawnCare

TempleLawnCare LawnSite Member

stay away from 10hp briggs intek
  5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I would get the 600 over the 550.

As far as the Husky 580 goes, yes it's a very powerful unit and it easily outblows a BR600M. But it is a gigantic and heavy unit that I wouldn't recommned for the smaller guys out there....we're talking around 30 pounds fueled...big, heavy and loud as hell. It is pretty comfortable due to an excellent harness system. I love my 580 but just wanted to point out that some people might find it too much of a burden to use.
  6. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 550 and a redmax 8500 the redmax out performs the stihl hands down. that thing is a beast for blowing leaves well worth the money for it i will be buying another for next year no doubt about it. the 550 would be good for your daily blowing of driveways and sidewalks but for leaf clean up the 8500 is the best way to go. the redmax 8500 and the husky 580 are basicly the same blower with just a few bells and whistles different. i think the husky has different straps than the redmax
  7. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

got the br600 stihl. very nice. thank you very much
  8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I went with the 600 magnum. not sure I even checked out the 550.

don't make up stories just because you have something against stihl.

there isn't a handheld on the market that will out blow a backpack. even staying with the stihl brand there handhelds won't out blow even there smallest backpack.
  9. Darryl G

Yes the Husky has a padded waist belt and a chest strap. It also has clips instead of screws to hold the air filter cover on and the fuel tank is a little bigger. I think the waist belt is a big plus for the Husky...nice to be able to take most of the load off your shoulders.

I bought mine last fall as a cleanup only machine but find it saves me time on my mowing route too...nice to be able to blow off pavement from 25 or 30 feet away and blowing out under my truck and trailer is no longer a process like it used to be...just give a good blast under there.
  10. Darryl G

Actually there are handhelds that will outblow the small cheapie backpack blowers.