1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl BR550 or BR600 blower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by recycledsole, Nov 4, 2012.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

thanks rsk. i might buy one new. they are hard to find used around here atleast. there are some far away in NJ, but its going to be $100 in gas atleast, and might not even be a good machine..
    thanks for your help, i really appreciate it very much.

thanks exmarkboy for confirming my decision with the br600 and giving me confidence in the machine. it is working great so far.
    thanks for everyones help i am grateful
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

There's more than a little bit of difference between a BR600M and the Husky 580. Yes, it's huge, heavy and loud as hell, but it blows a lot harder than the Stihl...a lot. For a good sized solo guy like myself, having that extra power makes a big difference, especially when the conditions are less than favorable. And even though it is heavy I don't find it uncomfortable. In fact I find it more comfortable than my old Shindaiwa EB630s because I don't have all that weight on my shoulders. The padded waist belt on the 580 makes a big difference in being able to wear it long enough to burn a whole tank, which is about 1.5 hours.

I don't see how it equals out. I can get more done faster with an insanely powerful backpack blower. You can really pick up the pace because most of the time you can blow as fast as you can move. If you're a bigger/stronger guy who really likes to go for it and bust tail when doing cleanups, I'd highly recommend it. If you're a smaller/weaker guy who isn't in much of a hurry, buy something else.
  3. TempleLawnCare

TempleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Wish I had 2 580's.....thinkin about selling my goat with the new 13hp honda motor for $850
  4. Darryl G

If it only had a 10HP Briggs on it that would be some tempting. :laugh:
  5. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

This is also how I roll on leaf clean ups. 2 BR600M, 13hp BG blower, and a leaf plow.
  6. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

Kawasaki. The KRB650B rocks. It feels like it has more power than it is rated at. They also make KRB750.

B at the end of the model # means tube mount throttle, an A at the end of the model # means hip mount.

580 Husq weigh a lot.

7. Darryl G

I'll carry an extra 8 pounds to have twice the power. Again, the Redmax 8500 and Husky 580 are not for everyone, but they make the smaller blowers seem like toys and in many situations will out perform a wheel blower.
  8. TempleLawnCare

TempleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Daryl is 100% correct, I have a 13hp Billy Goat and I can move a wall of leaves way more efficiently with my 580 then with my Goat. It will wear you down, especially if your like me and have and extra 15lbs worth of carhardt's on. If you can handle a little fatigue at the end of the day and let's face it were not pencil pushers, the 580 is well worth the money for cleanups. I wouldn't recommend it for your everyday walks and drives, thats what I have a 150bt for.
  9. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

I have the br600 and its good. My advice is if you are so confused just get the best. For just about $40 more get the br600.
  10. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

its efficient even if you are running a one man show, it is still the only way to do a clean up. I was pushing a pile so big monday morning I literally couldn't see where I was pushing the pile anymore. I wish I took a picture, it was 5ft over me sitting down on my cheetah, and about another 4ft wide at least.