Stihl BR550 vs. 600?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by farmmower, Aug 27, 2007.

1. farmmower

farmmower LawnSite Member

I need a backpack for a farm property to primarily blow leaves in the fall/spring and clean out buildings. Want to blow leaves into a pile or back into the windbreak. Probably about 1 acre. I used to rake but it is too time consuming. I hate to pay over $400 (550) vs. $480 for the 600 if I don't need the extra power. How do I decide which to buy? Have never used a backpack before and have a local Stihl dealer where I live. Thanks for your opinions.

2. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

the 600 has alot more power, alot more! you will really want it if your blowing alot of leaves that far

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

This comes up in a thread 2 to 3 times a week. Same question. The answer is that the 600 is worth the extra if you are going to pay that much for a blower, go all the way.

4. farmmower

farmmower LawnSite Member

Thanks for putting up with a newbie. I did do a search prior to my post but since I won't be a fulltime commercial user of the product I thought maybe I could get by with $80 less since the 550 is only one step below the top 600. Not having used a backpack I thought maybe the 550 would be sufficient. I think you have answered my question and you make a good point. Looks like I should get the 600. Thanks.