Stihl BR600 exposed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer gave me an old BR600 4 Mix engine to play around with. I have taken it apart and here it is. This pic shows the rotating assembly and most of the valve train. This engine is without a doubt a 4 stroke engine. The crank gear has 14 teeth and the cam/gear has 28 teeth. Of note is that the cam/gear is plastic. The remainder of the parts are steel or aluminum.

MVC-481S.JPG

2. Richard Martin

This pic shows the "head" and the remainder of the valve train. The head is an intergal part of the entire engine (one casting) and is not removable. Of note here is the casting manufacturer's name. Mahle. Those of you who are familiar with engines will recognize this name.

MVC-483S.JPG

3. Richard Martin

Here is a pic of the problem Stihl had with early engines. If you look inside the intake port you can see the valve guide sticking down inside the port. It should be up near the top of the port. If the guide comes down too far engine failure occurs.

MVC-485S.JPG

4. Richard Martin

Here is a pic of Stihl's secret power valve. This is a prototype valve that is rarely seen in the field.

MVC-482S.JPG

5. Richard Martin

That valve is actually the bottom half of the exhaust valve. It snapped in half and buried itself in the top of the piston.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Powervalve!!! What will they think of next.That was a good one!

7. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

they make plastics stronger than steel nowdays lol.and i have never seen any valve guides drop.all i have seen is people using the wrong oil ie. not stihl oil. and have the valve stick open.and that my friend is what caused the valve to break and lodge in the top of the piston. i was one of the frist to have the 600's or the 4-mix in general on the east cost.if you have any questions call mid atlantic stihl.your dealer has the #. but he wont give it to you cause he has broken his contract with stihl. and will be reported

8. Richard Martin

He had about a dozen of them sitting there in a box. All of them had the dropped intake guide just like is shown in the pic. Then he showed me my new engine and the guides were both back up at the top. BTW, I didn't say the guide caused the valve to break, my non friend.

And that dealer's name is....????

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i doubt the use of wrong oil would cause this type of failure . but i can see the importance of preventing buildup on the valves in this type of engine. i think a high quality syth oil is mandatory in this engine. a rep told me the ultra oil was developed just for these 4 mix engines. i hope the plastic cams hold up better than briggs and techumche does. i have had 2 fail me this season on low hrs engines

10. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

Mahle, they make the filters for my Porsche, lol