Stihl BR600 heads up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Everybody with a Stihl BR600 needs to be extremely careful about the gas cap. I thought I had put mine back on correctly but apparently I did not. 15 minutes after filling my blower it ran out of gas. Hmmm.. that's a lot of gas to use in 15 minutes I thought to myself. I took the blower off and set it on the side of the trailer and went to remove the gas cap. It was already off and dangling by that plastic string. I checked myself and the left side of my pants were covered in gas.

I have emailed Stihl and notified the US CSPC. They need to change this cap before someone gets burned and it's not a matter of if but rather when.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

There is a trick to putting it on. I had one come off on my Echo 650 when i rubbed it against the house. I dont think you are going to get the cap off my 600 by doing that. I guess you have to pay attention when it comes to gas caps.

John

3. Richard Martin

Well, I'm all for tricks to starting their blowers, changing throttle cables (I have a special tool just for the old Stihl blowers), clutches and stuff like that but there shouldn't be a trick to securing a gas cap. I have been badly burned before and this is no joke.

Exmark has paid burn settlements in the past and if Stihl doesn't change this design they will too.

4. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

The cap mechanism twists to lock on...if the thing twists before you put the cap on, it will not lock on properly, so you have to untwist it first and then lock it on...I spilled fuel one time also when it did not lock properly...

5. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Twist and lock it it will not come off...There needs to be a way for it NOT to twist while the cap is off...There are a few things wrong with the blower but they will get them worked out...let's hope they listen to the consumers...One is putting a metal screw inside a plastic throttle trigger in hopes that the plastic will not eventually get reamed out...I bought a lemon blower and I definitely do not want them to replace my blower cause I will be back to square one with problems..thing is blowing too much smoke (mix is perfect)...thing has lost power...limiter caps screws are broken...I am not sure what the problem is...the dealer could not even adjust the throttle screws properly...per Stihl tech support, the average setting without the limiter caps working is 3.5 complete turns for the High and 2 complete for the low...they set it wrong and it bogged down when I hit the throttle...they still have not figured out why it has lost power and is blowing smoke...I like the BR600 but they need to repair a few things...would it had hurt them financially to put on another forward holder on the tube to hold the throttle snug against the tube? I switched to a low smoke oil because the owner's manual calls for it in all the 4-mix engines and the dealer here seems to be dragging azz on getting the low smoke oil...

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I use the sthil white container oil with no problems. Just had the blower out today, I think it will blow leaves better then i thought.

DCP___ you need a new Dealer. Go get one if you can.

John

7. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I just demoed a BR600 today and I was impressed. Believe it or not I have a RedMax 8000 and I'm not crazy about it. Lots of power but just plain heavy and uncomfortable. The Stihl seems lighter and more cofortable. I may buy one. It was quiet and I liked the power. It was $459.00. Don't know if that is a good price. Has anybody used the opti-2 oil in the 4mix engines?

8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I'll stick to the regular screw-on caps on the older Stihl, Red Max etc. I don't want to get burned! :dizzy:

9. Richard Martin

Stihl called me this afternoon and wanted the specifics. I told them everything I could about the incident. They then told me that they had been using this same style of cap for several years now on chainsaws and stuff. I told the guy that surely someone else has had this problem before. Much to my surprise he said yes, that they had other reports of the gas cap popping off. He suggested that I take the blower back to my dealer just to make sure there isn't something wrong with the cap or tank.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

LOL, same dang thing happens to me all the time with my fs110 trimmer. Lose a helluva lotta gas every time too. I have learned that if you seat the cap, then jiggle it left and right a few times, then lock it, it will go on properly. Its ashame to turn the weed wacker upside down for some flower bed edging and lose 14 oz of gas.