1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stihl BR600 retrofit dual fuel pickups

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Now you all know I had to try this once I heard about it. My additional cost was dirt cheap. About 50 cents since I already had the fuel line and 2 filters. The only thing I had to buy a was a Tee fitting. Total time invloved was about an hour. I like to take my time. How does it work? I was using the blower the other day and I kept having to refill it at about 1/2 tank. It was bogging down and just being it's usual self. And I had a weighted fuel filter in it.

Now it sucks the tank dry with no bogging or hesitation at any point.

Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HighFiveBassin

HighFiveBassin LawnSite Member
    from VA

Just curious but when the tank is low, what keeps a setup like that from just sucking air from the exposed filter versus sucking fuel from the submerged one?

3. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

Because it will pull fuel from the tank faster than the carburetor needs it will the fuel pump style carburetor STIHL uses.

Richard I'm disappointed. It took you an hour an you didn't take time to clean the outside of the take before the picture.:nono: j/k:laugh:

4. Richard Martin

I know, I know. I get so excited about trying this stuff that cleaning parts that don't really matter kinda falls to another day. Since you saw that I assume you noticed that the inside of that tank is so clean you could drink out of it.

I'm going to pull it back apart and shorten the fuel filler side of the tank hose up by about 1/2". That fuel filter is sitting up on that boss for the tank screw and I'd like it to lay flat on the bottom of the tank. I'll take measurements of the hoses then in case anybody else is feeling like trying it.

5. Richard Martin

Yeah. It's called an impulse pump and it uses the air pulsations from the crankcase to move the diaphram up and down inside of the carb. Most 2 stroke tools use them as do a lot of small 4 stroke engines.

6. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I am surprised the weight don't work!!! Do they use stiff tubing? My 3 1/4" nut work majic for me!!! And I am talking about using in ALL position because I use it as a short reach hedge clipper that it is run upside down left and right.....

Only problem I occationally have is the filter work it's way up the the tank filler cap and when I open the cap, the filter stick right out!!!!

7. wildncrazyguy

wildncrazyguy LawnSite Member

Please do. Measurements are good... Where did you get the T? I guess I can get some Stihl fuel line from the dealer by the foot, or where do you suggest??? Thanks.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

seems like a good idea but i have no problems like that with my BR600 it runs the tank dry every time

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's pretty slick, such as simple solution to this friggin' problem.

Mine never has, it starts to acting up about 1/2 tank as well.

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I think all of the BR600's are like this. I know my blower was doing the same thing. I took a weight and zip tied it to the filter. It will run wide open until the tank is empty now.